Horizontal trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice... have to try that too. Which way to arch the back? like a 'U' or like an 'n'... if that makes sense.

Tobin....I have done all of those things...90 degrees with legs, back arched...Definitely no ankle weights...I am in the pool with dive students all of the time...My issue is not neutral buoyancy or horizontal trim while in motion...My issue is mainly the fact that my legs sink while hovering stationary. I just can't seem to hover horizontally. I can stay neutral and stationary all day long, it is just in a vertical position... One thing I haven't done yet is place weight more "north"/on my tanks and I am going to try that...I think alot of the problem has to do with weight distribution over 6' 4" of frame and the difficulty of finding a good center point...Any suggestions of weight attachment to tanks or any other "northern" areas...

RJP:
Have you tried shifting the tank towards your head a bit? Sometimes a slight shift there is enough to balance out your trim just a bit.

Yeah...I have adjusted my tank position upwardly on my bp/w...Still negative on the legs...

np251:
Nice... have to try that too. Which way to arch the back? like a 'U' or like an 'n'... if that makes sense.

Like a "U". Act like you are trying to bend backwards slightly.

rawls:
Tobin....I have done all of those things...Definitely no ankle weights...I am in the pool with dive students all of the time...My issue is not neutral buoyancy or horizontal trim while in motion...My issue is mainly the fact that my legs sink while hovering stationary. I just can't seem to hover horizontally. I can stay neutral and stationary all day long, it is just in a vertical position... One thing I haven't done yet is place weight on my tanks and I am going to try that...I think alot of the problem has to do with weight distribution over 6' 4" of frame and the difficulty of finding a good center point...

That's becuase while swimming, you are forcing your body to maintain the correct position. Once you are trully still, the "truth" comes out.

fire diver:
That's becuase while swimming, you are forcing your body to maintain the correct position. Once you are trully still, the "truth" comes out

Not "forcing" anything...I am completely comfortable when swimming and maintaining a horizontal position. When I begin to swim, my legs rise naturally with the movement. I don't know what you are alluding to when you say "truly still." Just because one's legs are negative, doesn't indicate that he or she cannot remain "truly still" as you suggest.

Rainer:
How negative are your fins? Have you tried lighter fins? Try adding a few #s to the top of your plate (perhaps with a few zip-ties).

Rainer...Where on the top of the plate? How about the tank?

SparticleBrane:
Clench your butt muscles.
While arching?

I don't really know how to describe how I maintain good positioning. I just....do it....
Wish I could be more help.
Luckily I only arch my back a little and don't have to clench my butt muscles at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom