Is horizontal position really better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dody

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread by an experienced diver in the Basic Forum is an invitation to a cordial discussion of a topic that approaches dogma on ScubaBoard: maintaining horizontal trim. Let's debate this in the spirit in which it was intended. This thread is not an invitation to a cage fight. Thank you in advance.

I get it. Better trim, streamlined, less energy spent especially with current so less gas. Easier to stay neutral. But, really, is the horizontal position always the best one? When I face a wall, watching the sealife, the upright position is more natural and comfortable. There are times when being horizontal is better for example when I am sneaking in narrow spaces and looking into crevasses with my flash light. Buddha position is useless but so relaxing just working on your breathing. I just spent a week diving in Thailand with instructors coming from all over the world (France who claim that they are the best because they invented the sport, Australia, Great Britain, USA who stunned me by not knowing neither DYI nor GUE, …). An instructor asked me why I was launching my DSMB horizontally when it was not necessary. I could not say anything but I was told this is the way.
But, just try an horizontal position in a vertical chimney. Or maybe, my understanding was wrong. Would this statement be right? Dive the way that better suits you?

I don't have a buoyancy issue nor am I ever the person low on air. I can do the horizontal position just fine. But it's not always the best position to see things and that's the whole point of diving. I'm not out there to impress anybody, just to enjoy my dive and find a lot of cool stuff so I take whatever position allows me to do that without impacting things around me.

I get it. Better trim, streamlined, less energy spent especially with current so less gas. Easier to stay neutral. But, really, is the horizontal position always the best one? When I face a wall, watching the sealife, the upright position is more natural and comfortable. There are times when being horizontal is better for example when I am sneaking in narrow spaces and looking into crevasses with my flash light. Buddha position is useless but so relaxing just working on your breathing. I just spent a week diving in Thailand with instructors coming from all over the world (France who claim that they are the best because they invented the sport, Australia, Great Britain, USA who stunned me by not knowing neither DYI nor GUE, …). An instructor asked me why I was launching my DSMB horizontally when it was not necessary. I could not say anything but I was told this is the way.
But, just try an horizontal position in a vertical chimney. Or maybe, my understanding was wrong. Would this statement be right? Dive the way that better suits you?
You've made your own point; the "right" position depends on the situation.

Horizontal is better for swimming. It has advantages when ascending in that there is tremendous drag when horizontal, so minor divergences from neutral are mitigated and don't immediately result in a change in depth.

Other than those two primary circumstances, no other big reasons for horizontal come to my mind.

There are a lot of reasons to NOT be horizontal. One of the primary ones is comfort and particularly neck strain. Swimming face down and looking up is not comfortable for me and some other people. A vertical position when ascending allows the diver to scan for sharks and promotes situational awareness and also allows the diver to look at the surface for the final portion of the ascent. Also when I want to descend quickly, I am swimming straight down, not fluttering down like a leaf in the wind.

Horizontal position is way over emphasized in my opinion, but it is excellent skill to learn for new divers and if they are swimming in a horizontal position, then, by necessity, their buoyancy must be very close to neutral.

I generally maintain a slightly head up position (I would guess 20 degrees ?) most of the time. It is more comfortable for me and the slight loss in swimming efficiency is a justifiable sacrifice for comfort and enjoyment. If I really have to swim hard and fast, I will be horizontal - because it is best for that.

Really? <face palm> Have you been reading too many of the recent troll posts?

Those instructors you were diving with are probably PADI or only recreational. Mostly tech divers or those who aspire to such have heard of GUE. Do you really think if someone is still teaching OW students on their knees they're going to worry about good trim? I see instructors and DMs at local quarries throughout the US Midwest. More often than not their trim sucks. More vertical than horizontal. The diving photos and videos I see from vacation divers on FB are full of people with crappy trim and such.

Dive vertical and you're going to be kicking the bottom up if you're close to the bottom. There are times when you go have to go vertical, but that's not the normal. Get rid of that stupid Buddha thing.

Marie, your posts just keep getting better! One of the strongest points in favor of being more or less horizontal is the ease of controlling your position in the water column with your fins. You can kick down if you're getting a little too light on your safety stop, you can do a couple of little back kicks to start an ascent, you can pivot around with a helicopter turn, and most importantly, you can head for a buddy in need of assistance, immediately! Why give up that control if you don't have to? (Launching an SMB in particular comes to mind as a situation in which you might need to fin down in a hurry should things go sideways.)

I would say nearly all my recreational dives are guided in SE Asia. And I paid a lot of attention to the guide from the early date up to now. I have yet to meet a guide using BP/W and all of them do not dive horizontally! They have too much things to consider eg. turn round to check the group, pointing out interesting object, baby sitting etc. Frog kick is not the most powerful if you have to chase someone wandering off.
A careless/misplaced frogkick is no difference from flutter.

I would say nearly all my recreational dives are guided in SE Asia. And I paid a lot of attention to the guide from the early date up to now. I have yet to meet a guide using BP/W and all of them do not dive horizontally! They have too much things to consider eg. turn round to check the group, pointing out interesting object, baby sitting etc. Frog kick is not the most powerful if you have to chase someone wandering off.
A careless/misplaced frogkick is no difference from flutter.
I would like to reply to the point of your post.
What is the point of your post?

Horizontal should be the default position for you in the water. It is the most effective and efficient while you are trying to move and while there are certainly times when you need to come out of that horizontal position, it should be the exception vs. the default position that you consciously choose to go head up or head down. Divers in a vertical position when not on a wall is not efficient or effective for kicking, results in increased damage to the reef, and frankly if you are horizontal or even slightly head down on a reef you are going to see more because your face can be closer to the reef.

Back
Top Bottom