Is horizontal position really better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very simple.
It is NOT the most practical position for dive guide.
Do you mean practical or common? The former is a value judgement; the latter is an observation.

I had never seen a dive guide using BP/W and dived horizontally.
I see that all the time, for recreational dive guides. Perhaps the difference is where you dive versus the rest of the world?

I see that all the time, for recreational dive guides. Perhaps the difference is where you dive versus the rest of the world?
Rest of the world!!!!!
SE Asia + Maldives + PNG + Scotland + Costa Rica + Australia.

We all have different experiences in life and your is not better/superior.

Always use your judgement on what suits the situation, never fall victim to dogma. Does the diver in the photo look out of trim ( credits to Tong_py_208)

Attachments

• 20220327_074444_IMG_1453.PNG
    20220327_074444_IMG_1453.PNG
    500.8 KB · Views: 104
Horizontal should be the default position for you in the water. It is the most effective and efficient while you are trying to move and while there are certainly times when you need to come out of that horizontal position, it should be the exception vs. the default position that you consciously choose to go head up or head down. Divers in a vertical position when not on a wall is not efficient or effective for kicking, results in increased damage to the reef, and frankly if you are horizontal or even slightly head down on a reef you are going to see more because your face can be closer to the reef.

This.

@Dody, let me add a couple of points to what @tbone1004 said.

Horizontal has some advantages when you launch an SMB or you ascend. By offering your biggest surface to the direction of motion (vertical), you gain a lot of stability (since there is more resistance in the vertical direction, you can control your position much better).

However, even if horizontal should be the default position due to efficiency reasons, by no means it should be used always. Indeed, you need to adjust the trim depending on the topology. Imagine you are going down on a shore dive and the bottom is sandy and (very) inclined - let's say 45°. If you go horizontal, you may lift a lot of sediments! Also, think about any overhead environment where you need to follow the bottom: if the bottom is inclined, and the ceiling is too close, you may not be able to physically stay horizontal! (this can happen even in rec diving, imagine a swim-through in a wreck or under a rock that doesn't offer much space below).

In general, feel free to change your trim even if it is just for fun, as long as you do not damage the environment and you understand how the efficiency of your position (in terms of hydrodynamics and stability) changes.

There's value in overemphasizing horizontal trim. If you're just learning how to maintain trim, horizontal is the most advantageous for the driver and her environment.

It's a great platform to learn from for getting control of buoyancy. Once those are learned, adjusting trim for the correct environment becomes simpler, the diver is more aware of his place and impact on the environment.

I get it. Better trim, streamlined, less energy spent especially with current so less gas. Easier to stay neutral. But, really, is the horizontal position always the best one? When I face a wall, watching the sealife, the upright position is more natural and comfortable. There are times when being horizontal is better for example when I am sneaking in narrow spaces and looking into crevasses with my flash light. Buddha position is useless but so relaxing just working on your breathing. I just spent a week diving in Thailand with instructors coming from all over the world (France who claim that they are the best because they invented the sport, Australia, Great Britain, USA who stunned me by not knowing neither DYI nor GUE, …). An instructor asked me why I was launching my DSMB horizontally when it was not necessary. I could not say anything but I was told this is the way.
But, just try an horizontal position in a vertical chimney. Or maybe, my understanding was wrong. Would this statement be right? Dive the way that better suits you?
I agree with all of this, Dody. Facing a wall--yes, it makes sense to get out of horizontal trim so you can get a sweeping look at the majesty of the wall. Looking down into a crevasse--sure. Buddha--if it's fun, do it once in a while. And I like @Centrals point that dive guides leading a group need to be in whatever position enables them to monitor the group.

GUE is often mentioned for their emphasis on horizontal trim, but I believe all they are getting at is what others have said: build horizontal trim into muscle memory so that you default to it naturally when you don't have a reason to be in some other position. And as you pointed out with regard to the Buddha position, having fun is as good a reason as any. See this classic:

Default to horizontal because it’s the most efficient way to dive— streamlined and optimum fin positioning for maximum propulsion. However, different circumstances require different tactics; up, down, left, right…

What is not good is kicking the hell out of the bottom as you think you’re being cool in seahorse trim. The worst part of this is ignorance in destroying the environment and visibility, especially if within a wreck.

One reason I’m nearly always in horizontal trim is to keep the drysuit balanced. If you’re head up, it dumps.

A couple or three weeks ago I did my first RIB recreational dive in several years. First day I wanted to get the lie of the land in a 'foreign' location so opted to dive on a follow-the-leader dive. We dropped in and it became clear that the boat driver had dropped us about 300 metres/yards from the reef. So the DiveMaster heads off to the reef at full speed. I followed up the rear in horizontal trim without any particular effort and was astonished at the amount of bubbles people were exhaling. Had a short mooch around the reef and had to head back to the pickup point. 40 mins and that’s that.

I did observe the DiveMaster swimming backwards as he rolled over to see the people behind him and continued finning. Neat technique.

Anyway, the horizontal trim question is summarised as When you’ve practiced and mastered your core skills — buoyancy, trim and finning — you really do use a lot less gas and have a much easier time diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom