Hood Filling with air. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've started diving with a hood when I'm doing multiple dives (1 mil suit works for 1 dive, but not 2 or more) but I'm having a problem with the hood filling up with air bubbles. After 20-30 minutes I notice it is coming off my head (usually taking my mask with it) so are there any tricks or tips you can offer to help keep it empty? I did put a small hole in the top of it, hoping the air would leak out, but it doesn't seem to help.

I actually notice it when my mask starts filling up with water slowly - so I empty the air (it's enough to throw my bouyancy off), reposition the hood, put my mask back on and start over again. - It's not a big deal, just a little "hassle" I'd like to put an end to.

Thanks for any ideas,
Tim

kidspot:
I've started diving with a hood when I'm doing multiple dives (1 mil suit works for 1 dive, but not 2 or more) but I'm having a problem with the hood filling up with air bubbles. After 20-30 minutes I notice it is coming off my head (usually taking my mask with it) so are there any tricks or tips you can offer to help keep it empty? I did put a small hole in the top of it, hoping the air would leak out, but it doesn't seem to help.

I actually notice it when my mask starts filling up with water slowly - so I empty the air (it's enough to throw my bouyancy off), reposition the hood, put my mask back on and start over again. - It's not a big deal, just a little "hassle" I'd like to put an end to.

Thanks for any ideas,
Tim

kIDSPOT, you could try a tighter fitting hood as long as it is not too tight around your neck. Some times one hole is not enough. I have 3 in my hood at the verry top they are 2-3mm in size because i had the same prob give it a try and let me know how you go. Reguards Stuey.

My BARE hooded vest has 3 holes on to with a baffel patch under them with the more staggered holes. Sometimes it works but only if you have the holes at true top for the air to rise and escape from. Also I notice if I'm doing mask exercises and don't hold the top seal down firmly I can get a lot of air in there in a hurry. If it's a bit loose and you can stand some more warmth you can sneak a beanie underneath to snug the fit up a bit.

Pete

STUEY2:
kIDSPOT, you could try a tighter fitting hood as long as it is not too tight around your neck. Some times one hole is not enough. I have 3 in my hood at the verry top they are 2-3mm in size because i had the same prob give it a try and let me know how you go. Reguards Stuey.

Presumably if you are in a horizantal position a hole or holes at the back might also help.

kidspot:

Thanks for any ideas,
Tim

Just use a small hole punch to create a way for it to escape. Before you do that you might want to pay attention during a dive to where the air accumulates so you put the hole in the right place. In terms of what to do during a dive if you lean way over (head down) then all the air will escape without contortions.

R..

Kidspot,

There are a lot of good suggestions here so far, but the one suggestion that I haven't seen mentioned is the one that I sometimes use myself, and that is to simply press on the hood. It only takes a second or two to perform it, and it works really good. I have a Bare hood for my drysuit and it sometimes does that as well.

kidspot:

Also make sure that the hood isn't under the mask seal. I've seen it happen where people got the hood underneath the mask, and upon descending the air that is inside the mask get's pushed up into the hood.

Hope this helps....

Randy Cain

I would not get too carried away with a hole punch. Too large a hole will create water exhange and make the hood less effective. What I have done in the past is cut a small slit in the hood (no more than 1/4" long) with an exacto knife at the point where the hood is highest in a normal swimming position.

Also, as indicated above, just pushing on the hood to force the air out works well as long as the hood is adequately snug.

I cut two holes in my hood as the standard ones that came with the hood were not effective. I used to get so much air in there and I could never figure out why. I had to bang on the hood to get rid of the air. My holes are about 3mm in diameter but as my hood is normally otherwise a snug fit, water exchange is at a minimum. In fact, my buddy got a brain freeze this weekend and I was perfectly fine till I realised his brain freeze was cutting my dive short... :wink:

Same problem here. To solve it, I cut small holes to allow water flow around my ears allowing them to equalize. It's a Henderson and already had a small hole in the crown of if, but it wouldn't let air vent fast enough so I cut a fairly small X shape in the top of it. The X is about an eighth of an inch on each cross. It probably should be a little bigger, one day I'll make it probably a quarter inch on each beam of the cross.

Hope this helps,

Randy

kidspot:

Thanks for any ideas,
Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom