Hood Filling with air. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tndiveinstruct1:
Kidspot,

There are a lot of good suggestions here so far, but the one suggestion that I haven't seen mentioned is the one that I sometimes use myself, and that is to simply press on the hood. It only takes a second or two to perform it, and it works really good. I have a Bare hood for my drysuit and it sometimes does that as well.

Also make sure that the hood isn't under the mask seal. I've seen it happen where people got the hood underneath the mask, and upon descending the air that is inside the mask get's pushed up into the hood.

Hope this helps....

Randy Cain

As a regular practice I press my hood a few times as I am ascending. This is when I most notice a little air expansion in the hood.

--Matt

I took a soldering iron with a hot tip and melted a few small holes right in the top/back of my head. Never had the problem again, and the holes are tiny. If I'm doing a mask clear or something and get a bunch of air in it, I'll still push the top to get all the air out quick. I've been considering making the holes a bit bigger.

Talk about a lot of quick replies - I wrote that after my dive last night, crawled into bed, got up and wow - Thanks guys.

The hood is fairly snug - I had a smaller one, but it nearly cut the circulation off. this one keeps me perfectly warm. I tried tipping my head down, but all the air went into my wetsuit (the hood is tucked into my suit collar - though I could take it out I guess) and I forgot (duh) that swimming in a horizontal position the hole on the top is rather useless. It's going to be a week before I get back into the water (my 3 dives yesterday will have to hold over till next Monday) then I'll try out your ideas.

Aloha,

Tim

I used a sharp tipped knife to put a range of little slit like holes, maybe 1/8" long, barely notice the width (the neoprene has to be stretched right out to see them), from just in front of the crown of my head to the top of the neck (where the cranium part of the skull meets the neck). I reckon i have put a good dozen holes, never had an air build up nor water sloshing around. Another tip might be to put your mask under your hood, this would prevent any problems of it being pulled off by any trapped air.

Good idea. Next time I need to make holes in neoprene, that's what I'm gonna use.

Randy

bcsean:
I took a soldering iron with a hot tip and melted a few small holes right in the top/back of my head. Never had the problem again, and the holes are tiny. If I'm doing a mask clear or something and get a bunch of air in it, I'll still push the top to get all the air out quick. I've been considering making the holes a bit bigger.

I find that I fill up my hood when I am exhaling thru my nose. When I stop doing that, the hoods stops filling up with gas!

I find that I fill up my hood when I am exhaling thru my nose. When I stop doing that, the hoods stops filling up with gas!
same here, unfortunately we must exhale through the nose on occasion to keep the air space in the mask equalized. Anytime I exhale through my nose I just 'burp' the old hood.

Jason

RICoder:
Betcha that hurt...

ROTFLMAO. That's the second good laugh I got from scubaboard today. The jellyfish guy had me rolling too...

Good one.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom