Hood Filling with air. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver:
I find that I fill up my hood when I am exhaling thru my nose. When I stop doing that, the hoods stops filling up with gas!
I noticed the same thing, so I'm trying to break that habit (except when doing a mask clear of course - tried using my mouth for that - it doesn't work. . . )

Tim

RICoder:
Betcha that hurt...

Doh. Got me there. Oh, and on a quick side note, other then the fact the holes are in the hood and I wasn't wearing it at the time I put the soldering iron through it...

Get an iron with replacable tips, cause once the neoprene is on there, it's pretty much garbage for anything but. I also have a blade that I used to put holes in my webbing for my backplate harness.

Plus, I can't always stop exhaling through my mask, as I'm not a fan of shaving the top bit of my mustache, so it constantly has a very slow leak. barely noticable, but I need to exhale ocassionally.

I need to do this too. I like the idea of slits (closed until needed) but cuts tend to self enlarge in most materials whereas holes don't. Is this an issue with neoprene?

On a serious note, I dive locally with a 7 mil suit and hood (and boots and gloves), but have never had problems with air in the hood at all. Perhaps I am just lucky, but I will be more mindful of it on my next dive.

Glad I found this thread. Its that time of year again to start wearing a hood. Last year when I had air trapped, I just pressed on the hood and it was fine. My biggest problem was the exhaled air finding its way into my hood past my ears. By the end of the dive, my ears were so messed up that they hurt to hear out of. So I have put some small holes (created by a large nail heated over a candle )in the hood where my ears are. I hope this helps. Will find out this weekend.

Scuba_Jenny:
Glad I found this thread. Its that time of year again to start wearing a hood. Last year when I had air trapped, I just pressed on the hood and it was fine. My biggest problem was the exhaled air finding its way into my hood past my ears. By the end of the dive, my ears were so messed up that they hurt to hear out of. So I have put some small holes (created by a large nail heated over a candle )in the hood where my ears are. I hope this helps. Will find out this weekend.
Interesting, because today my left ear is really giving me problems, feels like a reverse block (and I do not have trouble clearing my ears while diving and was not at all congested yesterday when I did my dives)

I'll keep this in the back of my head . . . right along with the soldering iron (sorry . . . couldn't resist "heating up" that iron again . . .)

Tim

I used to have the same problem of my hood filling up with air. As has previously been mentioned, it comes from air exhaled into the mask. If the mask is not a good fit and is tucked under the hood it will flow right in. I recently switched masks to one that fits my face better and is lower volume. I haven't had the problem since. If you mask fits really well, try trimming back the opening to your hood.

My mask goes over my hood, but still get the air in. From what I remember last year, the exhaled air from my reg found its way into my hood. As it went past my ears, some air would get trapped there momentarly (thus the reason for putting the holes near my ears instead of the top). My ears would open, then the air would pass and they close. Sometimes they didn't close fast enough. The constant opening and closing was very painful by the end of the dive. Perhaps I just have a cheapo hood and a quality one would fit better. I dunno. :sigh:

I have had this exact same problem in the past with my hood. I took a hot nail and put two holes in the hood, one on the very top and another in the back. The trick is to make them big enough, but not so big that you get water movement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom