Honolulu Scuba Company

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacWet

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As a new diver with little experience in diving on O'ahu, Hawaii I didn't know what to expect from Honolulu Scuba Company when I called to arrange for a dive the next day, Sunday, January 20, 2008. "Captain Mac" was friendly and informative and provided information about the trip, places where I could be picked up by his van and the route to his shop where I could park without paying the exorbitant rates charged by parking garage operators. I drove to the Honolulu Scuba Company store at 670 Auahi Street, Honolulu and rode with "Jeff" to pick up other divers from the Hilton Hotel after which he drove us to the boat. The boat is about 38 feet long and was adequate for the 20 divers on the trip. It was clean, in good condition and had rubber anti-slip mats on the floor which helped with the footing in the mild seas we encountered. Seven divers were Americans who are certified. There were about about 10 Korean speaking divers of whose certification status I was unaware. Additionally, there were about 5 divemasters so that each divemaster had a relatively small number of divers to shepherd. We arrived at the dive site over the wrecks "Caroline" and "San Pedro" in 99 feet of water. Jeff, the driver, was also Jeff, a divemaster, and he gave the 3 members of his "flock" a preview of what we'd encounter in terms of currents, locations of the wrecks and a review of the standard hand signals he'd be using. After some initial problems with equalizing pressure and regulating my breathing, the dive went well except for the fact that I got hit in the back by a 30 foot tourist submarine. Neither the submarine nor I was injured and my buddy pulled me out of the way so that the encounter was terminated without further problems. But, those things are big (about 30 feet) and don't give you any warning of their presence - at least this one didn't! Our second dive was off the Waikiki area in 30 - 50 feet of water as we followed a large pipeline a distance of about 150 yards. It has become an attachment point for coral and marine growth with lots of fishes and other animals. Upon reaching the end of the pipeline we circled back to the tether point for the boat and covered some coral beds. Between dives, I saw a whale breaching. A pod of dolphins also showed up. Everything considered, it was a good dive for a beginning diver and I'd recommend Captain Mac and his crew. They were helpful, friendly and courteous and solved my weight belt slippage problem by fashioning a bandoleer type of support that completely eliminated an annoying problem. The equipment they provided was adequate and the wet suit and BC were properly sized for me.

I don't think I know them.

thanks for posting.

are they new?

I was under the impression that the sub has "right of way." Shouldn't that be covered in the briefing?

Im just wondering... You said the Caroline and the San Pedro... Do you mean the YO 257 and the San Pedro and if so is there a little information on why the YO is/was being called the Caroline. If not where is the Caroline so I can try it out?

20 divers sounds like a lot. How much was the two-tank dive with the operator?

As a new diver with little experience in diving on O'ahu, Hawaii I didn't know what to expect from Honolulu Scuba Company ... Seven divers were Americans who are certified. There were about about 10 Korean speaking divers of whose certification status I was unaware.
Are Korean's now diving in Hawaii in great number?
.... After some initial problems with equalizing pressure and regulating my breathing, the dive went well except for the fact that I got hit in the back by a 30 foot tourist submarine. Neither the submarine nor I was injured and my buddy pulled me out of the way so that the encounter was terminated without further problems. But, those things are big (about 30 feet) and don't give you any warning of their presence - at least this one didn't!
Hmmm... so that loud buzzing sound and the flashing windows didn't give you any indication something was coming? I can't think of any other time the Atlantis subs have ever snuck up on anyone like that.

maybe the equalization trouble also affected hearing?
because yeah.. those subs are loud!

although.. i have seen 'em accelerate when they see a diver in front of 'em..
well.. at least it seems that way when i'm that diver :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom