Honolulu Scuba Company

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is that bite from the octopus treating you :)?

The sub company OWNS that site? Really? Sweet, I have some property you can buy, it's about 2 miles south of waikikki :) I'll let it go for cheap...:)

...sorry just can't resist the urge, must be aloha friday...

Atlantis owns the site? I thought I did. I gave Sherman $10 for it. Dang fake certificates. Every single one of you owe me a fiver for each time you dive it from now on. The sub will cost $5/person.

Nice pic Catherine, but I got a better one.

Sorry MacWet, but you earned this one, and please forgive the Texas in me.

MacWet, Heeeeeeeerrrrrrrreee's yer sign.

subx.jpg

One upster lol

well, I have super-sonic hearing and when there is bad viz and TWO subs, I could not discern the direction....

(Hi Drewski) Seriously, the best practice is to stay OVER the wreck and only experienced locals or small guided groups (2-3) should cross to the other wreck when the viz is poor.

Just think Sherman, if you were under 30 and had a Mac you could make really good certificates...

Your really not going to invite me on the boat for that one are you?

Yeah it is aloha friday!!!
I could just see the Atlantis sub company move to remove divers if an accident happened like the one avoided. I know the ocean is free, but they paid the bucks to sink that stuff, and I would hate to hear that argument in court cause I'm afraid we (divers) would lose out.

You are right

Police ourselves

Yeah it is aloha friday!!!
I could just see the Atlantis sub company move to remove divers if an accident happened like the one avoided. I know the ocean is free, but they paid the bucks to sink that stuff, and I would hate to hear that argument in court cause I'm afraid we (divers) would lose out.
From my read of the law I rather guess that we'd win ... but why fight an unnecessary fight? We can find ways to share without giving up much.

not to correct anyone (or offend) but part of the conditions for "Atlantis" to get the permits to sink the ships (YO & san pedro) was they need to make it accessable to all divers, there was quite a conflict when they had their own boat and was running charters, to this day they are required to maintain the day use mooring on the YO and they don't now or have ever "owned" the YO, it was donated via the rear admiral back in the 80's

The number and variety of responses to my post about Honolulu Scuba Company was surprising and interesting as well as amusing. However, there are some misunderstandings I can clarify.

Jeff, the DM, warned us about the subs and told us they have right of way. Visibility was about 75' but I didn't see the sub approaching because my back was toward it - otherwise I'd have moved out of the way. I suspect the pressure equalization problem had something to do with not hearing the motors. Even after impact, I didn't hear them although, at that time, the sub was moving very slowly so the sound may have been subdued.

I question whether the subs have the right of way (ROW) over divers for several reasons. First, on land or on water, people have the ROW over any powered vehicle or even a bicycle. A sailboat has ROW over a powered craft because powered boats are moving faster and can usually avoid a collision more easily. Drivers of cars, bicyles or boats watch the road or the waterway in front of them whereas walkers (and divers) are concerned more about their activities and surroundings and are less likely to be aware of approaching danger. Second, because of the inherent danger in operating a powered vehicle, a higher standard of care is imposed upon the operator. Capt. Mac commented that the Coast Guard gets pretty huffy when divers intentionally approach subs. I can accept that but it seems to me that subs should be giving divers a wide road. If the props are as dangerous as one of you pointed out, they shouldn't be operating in an area where they're likely to endanger divers.

The cost of the dive with 2 tanks plus reg, BC, suit and weights was $100. I have flippers, mask and boots but these were available had I needed them.

I know very little about Korean tourists diving in O'ahu. Jeff said they were Koreans and I suspect they were. There were at least 4, maybe 5, DMs aboard - 2 (or 3?) were with the Korean group and 2 were with the American group.

Finally, I wrote my initial post regarding the HSC because my prior experience in February 2007 with a dive shop on O'ahu was not good and I benefited from a recent post by Selo about his December 2007 experience with Capt. Dave's Extreme Comfort Diving. My dives with HSC were my 11th and 12th and that includes 4 training dives in Belize where the boat was so decrepit we doubted that we'd get to the barrier reef even though it was only a 1/2 mile from shore. After diving Belize and my 1st experience on O'ahu, diving with Capt. Mac was a pleasant surprise - something other divers unfamiliar with O'ahu might benefit from knowing. As I understand it, that's the purpose of Scubaboard isn't it? Nevertheless, I'll accept Rockjock's "Submarine Crossing!" as my sign - it's certainly relevant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom