Honolulu Scuba Company

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Atlantis tourist sub.

umm.. that was rhetorical..
but sherm knows.. the 100foot DPVs :wink:

You should have mooned the people or something. God help them if I am down there when they swing by. I hate subs with a passion, so I have no problem being that guy or that diver.

When I worked for Atlantis, the small subs were 65' long, and Atlantis XIV was 100'. I'm surprised that 5!!! DM's didn't keep you clear of them. Kinda negligent on their part.

When the viz is poor, it creeps me out. The whine of that, not being able to discern the direction, etc. (Atlantis) Not to mention your story Tom W about the guy that got flailed in the blades back in the day (was that you?) Not the way I want to go, with tourists gaping and snapping pics of my inerds.

Honolulu Scuba Company owns the MoeMac. They usually dock at Kewalo.
...oh yea, I know now. He is "kinda new" Mack, right? Nice man...his boat just had an
80K dry dock haul out---so I hope you liked the mats.:wink:

Ya'll are sayin it is tough to get hit by a sub, but when I cross to the San Pedro from the YO257, in bad viz, I have had some issues and felt too close, too soon. But, I am a bit ADD with the camera and all. I think if the viz is under 50 ft, it is a bad recipe for vacationers. Some days, it is like crossing the I-5 from Mexico, on foot. Maybe we need that sign they have?

with tanks, of course.

runningforyourlife.jpg

Define bad viz...is that Hawaiian 70' "bad viz" or California "10'' bad viz"....

When is the vis in Hawaii under 50'? Wait I know...at night :) Unless JJ is along.

Well, under 200, for me, lol.

But...for spotting subs, as a tourist diver, I'd say 30-50 ft is close for most people to figger it out and get out of the way. Especially when there are two coming from different directions and you are not over a wreck but in the crossing area.

hey, I am a MOMMY, I Understand safety issues. Ya'll should listen up, I can think like a three year old.

We dove w/Cptn Mac on Saturday. We were finishing up an open water class for a few of our son-n-laws Army buddies. The crew and Cptn. were very helpful and respectful of what we needed to do and were a pleasure to be around. I would recommend them again. As to the sub...well...watch your surroundings, that's not the only thing that is bigger than you out there. The VIS, wonderful...but I dive Lake Travis in Austin on a regular basis.

Thanks Cptn Mac and Honolulu Scuba! We'll recommend you when we can.

Slipstream Divers
Bastrop Texas

As an instructor I must add that any dive professional who allows a client to get anywhere close to the Atlantis sub should receive a stern talking to.
...and any diver who is unaware of a 100 ft sub and cant hear the whirring props, should have their credentials checked along with hearing.
I have dove that site hundreds of times and NEVER have I not heard the sub coming, way before it is visible...even with 150 ft vis!
I don't fault Capt Mac because he runs a good op and personally can't control what goes on under water, but he should take note of this story.
I don't normally post such opinionated replies but this could have resulted in an accident that would have potentially shut down diving when the sub is active. We don't own those sites, the sub company does. We are fortunate that they let us share the water with them.
I am glad that no one was hurt but this type of story scares me. I have seen the props of the sub shred a 40 lb Kahala (Amber Jack)
Keep clear!!!!
ScubaDrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom