honduras bay islands on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

penti

Contributor
Reaction score
Reunion Island (it's between Mauritius and Madagas
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

I'm going to Honduras for 6 weeks from July 17th with my G.F. Our plan is to spend 3 weeks visiting Honduras and Guatemala's mainlands (mayan ruins, forests, cities, etc...), and 3 weeks diving in the Bay islands. We have much more time than money, so we often travel but we are rather on a "budget-backpacker option". We are basically looking for the cheapest accomodation, provided there is a bed and a bucket of water available to wash...
We eat in markets or small restaurants.
I've read a lot about AI resorts on this forum, which all look nice, but we definitely won't be able to afford them.
Are there cheap accomodations in Utila and Roatan ? What would be the price of, say, a small, basic double room with shared bathroom ? On what parts of the Islands would be the best "backpacker's choice ? "
Last question, if you had 3 weeks to spend in the Bay Islands, how would you split them between Roatan and Utila ?
Are they really different ?
Which has the best diving ?

Thanks for your help !

penti:
Are there cheap accomodations in Utila and Roatan ? What would be the price of, say, a small, basic double room with shared bathroom ?

I'll await more informed to respond on the costs. The West End of Roatan is the place for backpackers on a budget.

On what parts of the Islands would be the best "backpacker's choice ? "

Utila, on the other hand is all-over perfect for the backpacker... there is but one center of commerce and population. Go and you will be thrilled.
Last question, if you had 3 weeks to spend in the Bay Islands, how would you split them between Roatan and Utila ?

For what you describe, one week on Roatan, then jump to Utila.

Are they really different ?

Utila is perfectly suited to your needs

Which has the best diving ?

Which has the best diving: Yes.

You, as a day-dive guest will have much better selection of dive ops on Utila. On Roatan, altho the West End is laden with day dive ops, they are not the best that Roatan has to offer (look at SubWay Watersports located elsewhere on Roatan)

As with all such querries in regards to saving money by avoiding AI's remember that the extras cost money.... You have to do the math... most AI's will give you 4 to 6 dives a day, 3 meals and a pillow, for $100-125/day. For a visitor that wants to dive a lot, the AI is the only way.

If you mix your vacation with a sampling of other things... partying, sunning, sightseeing, the other stuff, your non-AI method will work well!

You'll like Utila!

Thanks for your help !

Go slowly and follow your Dm at all times. Only they can find the cool small stuff!

Penti,

I have to agree categorically with Roatanman on this one! You can find rooms on Utila for $4 to $6 nite with shared bath...some with shared kitchen. On Utila find a place to stay a nite or two and look around & find the digs you want to spend the rest of your time in. Also see Tex, or Hans if he's there, at Ecomarine.....Might also see Steve Deep Blue divers (not resort).

Regards,

Utila is supposed to be a backpackers dream. On Roatan I would suggest Chilies in West End (they are associated with Native Sons dive shop) or Treasure Hunter Matt (they have cabins and camping, and a small live aboard and diving at very reasonable prices- http://www.treasurehuntermatt620.com/ I would try here for Roatan first). Depending on your budget, if you wanted to stay the whole time on one island, you might look for a house that rents by the month. With luck you may find some for $200-500 per month, depending on what and where you want to stay.
Your best bet for learning the best cheap places to eat/drink and get around once you are there? Ask your DMs. Usually they are on a very tight budget as well and already have all this figured out! Good luck figuring it all out!

I've been to Utila in april and returning to the Bay islands next month (one week in Utila, one in Roatan for the first time). There is many cheap accomodation in Utila (10-12$ for 2 people). Look hotel tropical or Rubi's inn. Some hotel even charge 3$ per person if you dive with them (The mansion-as written on the website...). Look at this address:
http://www.aboututila.com/

I dove with both BICD and deep blue divers. I really liked deep blue diver's (DM Louis). The diving was 175$ for 10 dives (you can buy 12 and share between you and your gf) + 3$ per day park fees.

If you re on a tight budget, I strongly suggest you go for a few days at Captain Morgan's on Jewel caye. We've got a room for 10$ for 2 people, diving is the same cost and you can get cheaper breakfast and dinner (lasagna, beer, salad and garlic bread for 3-4$). The only disadvantage is the dive boat was a little crowded...but I am returning there for a few days for sure.
PM me (in french if you want) if you have more questions or if you want to see some pictures.

Sounds like a good plan you have! I have done the same trip a couple of times and am sure you will enjoy the time in Guatemala almost as much as your time spent in on Utila and Roatan. And I am biased towards diving or I would prefer Guatemala otherwise.

I have always dove with Capt Morgans on Utila because I have recieved the best price there for stays of 3-4 weeks diving 2X a day. There are plenty of shops there to chose from, I think the best approach is to spend a little time and ask around to see which shop feels right for you. I would rate the diving on Roatan overall a bit better than Utila but you also pay a bit more for overall costs. On a budget the West End area of Roatan was excellent for me. Both Islands are well worth a visit...Have fun!

thanks to you all for your time and precious information. It seems sensible to me to spend 2 weeks on Utila and 1 in Roatan.
We'll probably drop in the first cheap place we find and spend a night or 2 there then ask the DMs and locals advice, as we usually do wherever we travel .

I have 1 more question : Roatanman says that " most AI's will give you 4 to 6 dives a day", is it safe to dive 4 to 6 times a day ?
Wherever I went in my (short) diving career (thailand, Egypt and Malaysia) I usually did 2 or 3 dives a day, plus an additional night dive sometimes, but can you really dive 5 or 6 times a day ?

My wife and I just got back from Roatan and wish we were still there. You can do this many dives in a day if you will be smart. If you like deep diving, then 5 or 6 is not smart, and you will miss so much of what Roatan diving is about. I would suggest taking the advice of so many and going slow and looking carefully. Most of the special things about Roatan are found between 60 and 15 feet. At these depths, 5 or 6 dives a day are possible. You have received good advice here and it seems you are following it. I would also suggest you ask people on Roatan or Utila (whichever you go first) for suggestions for the second. It seems that there are some connections that might save you money. Have fun.
penti:
thanks to you all for your time and precious information. It seems sensible to me to spend 2 weeks on Utila and 1 in Roatan.
We'll probably drop in the first cheap place we find and spend a night or 2 there then ask the DMs and locals advice, as we usually do wherever we travel .

I have 1 more question : Roatanman says that " most AI's will give you 4 to 6 dives a day", is it safe to dive 4 to 6 times a day ?
Wherever I went in my (short) diving career (thailand, Egypt and Malaysia) I usually did 2 or 3 dives a day, plus an additional night dive sometimes, but can you really dive 5 or 6 times a day ?

mjnansen:
Utila is supposed to be a backpackers dream. On Roatan I would suggest Chilies in West End (they are associated with Native Sons dive shop) or Treasure Hunter Matt (they have cabins and camping, and a small live aboard and diving at very reasonable prices- http://www.treasurehuntermatt620.com/ I would try here for Roatan first). Depending on your budget, if you wanted to stay the whole time on one island, you might look for a house that rents by the month. With luck you may find some for $200-500 per month, depending on what and where you want to stay.
Your best bet for learning the best cheap places to eat/drink and get around once you are there? Ask your DMs. Usually they are on a very tight budget as well and already have all this figured out! Good luck figuring it all out!

Have you tried treasurehuntermatt620.com personally? Do they bring you to good dive sites?

No, we haven't tried them yet- we have been in contact with them in the past, but couldn't match up our schedules to dive with them. We got the impression that they will take you anywhere the group of divers wants to go on their boat. If you try them let us know how they are!

sephrina:
Have you tried treasurehuntermatt620.com personally? Do they bring you to good dive sites?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom