Home Owners Association - Going Ballistic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently saw an article where someone was being find because they were making sauerkraut at home and the neighbors complained about the smell.
I wonder if your HOA allows pressure canners and cookers? I use them a lot but they do have a reputation for blowing things up.

What happens is that many of the restrictive covenants include a general prohibition against activities that create a nuisance. In the hands of unreasonable people and bad neighbors, that one can get pretty wild.

The key is to keep the neighborhood active and interested enough to keep reasonable people in control. If the actions of the HOA do not reflect the desires of the majority of it's members, there can be a serious problem.

THose are the ones that need to have someone buy a place then move a large family of immigrants in. Ones that keep chickens, goats, and sacrifice to some pagan god every other sunday. You also need to tell them to go back to the trailer parks they most likely grew up in and shut TF up.

There is a balance in most situations. Where I live (some might be tempted to call it "Paradise") ... the neighbors consider it "keeping up with the Joneses" when they park their disabled 4X4's, boats, trailers, etc. in the front yard or on the street so that the fenders protrude onto the roadway and cause accidents and near-misses at night.

When "they" do it ... it's their "heritage". When I do ... it's a violation of law.

When "they" do it ... "I" need to "make nice and be understanding". When "I" do it ... "they" say "Phuquing Hoale" and I pay a hefty fine.

It is also considered "acceptable" to feed the wild chickens and to have more hound dogs than there are wild pigs ... feed these hound dogs LESS than the chickens eat ... and then bitch like a raped ape when someone has the "nerve" to suggest that they actually clean up AFTER their dogs !!!

And this is in a State where it is dang near illegal to legally own a firearm ... yet they teach the locals to hunt wild pig/boar with dogs and knives (no, the pigs are not the ones with dogs and knives, and the dogs don't have the knives either) ... and the coup-de-gra is killing the pig by slitting its jugular ... and THEN they "wonder why" people "mouth-off" and "get-in-the-face" of the authorities and there is so much domestic violence in the State !!!

Take a slap from a mouthy woman and you're considered a puss. Slap a mouthy woman back and end up in jail ... take a knife and kill a pig and you protect your "heritage" ... disrepect law and order or just be the "wrong" color" ... lose your right to vote and own a gun.

Welcome to MY neighborhood!

HOA's are there to provide a "common sense" management to the individuals "rights" ... sadly, there is abuse on ALL sides of the fence !!!

IMHO.

For those of use that like to live in an attractive community, its the solution to the 'its my land and I can do what ever I want crowd'.

Is this in those areas with $2000 month mortgages and furniture from goodwill thanks to the mortgage? I saw lots of those when I lived in Columbus. Especially in Worthington and the Olentangy areas. Was great. Orange crates and futons except when a dinner pahty must be held. Then rent a center brought in stuff for the weekend.

Last edited:
Is this in those areas with $2000 month mortagages and furniture from goodwill thanks to the mortgage? I was lots of those when I lived in Columbus. Especially in Worthington and the Olentangy areas. Was great. Orange crates and futons except when a dinner pahty must be held. Then rent a center brought in stuff for the weekend.

And why would you let witches :shocked2: and their covenants in?:idk:

i'm pretty certain this doesn't affect the industry as a whole, but the president of the home owners association where i live is throwing quite a fit over my cylinders. i just got a letter stating "cans of compressed air" are precluded in the complex's deed restrictions. i guess is she considers them HAZMAT. i don't think an objective assesment of risk is in her repertoire, and i'm pretty sure she can't do anything about it (except send letters): but i'm curious if other on this forum have experienced similar paranoia from your neighbors who might worry your AL80 is a "bomd[sic] waiting to go off?" and how you dealt with the situation? thanks.

Never happened to me but I'm fairly sure I'd tell them to f--k off.

Jim, I understand your objections, but yes, they can. You sign away some of your property rights when you buy (rent) a house in a neighborhood that has deed restrictions/covenants. You have to be told up front that you are buying such a property, and that you will adhere to the deed restrictions. The problem comes in when these little people think that they have more juice than they really do. Obviously, there is no deed restriction about storing sporting goods in your house, or "cans of compressed air" or medical supplies or many other things a scuba cylinder could be. There are certainly restrictions about storing work-related items, performing commercial work, or operating a business out of your house. This little woman who has nothing better to do than drive around spying on her neighbors (and there are lots of them in the world) doesn't know a scuba cylinder from a chop saw.

It's a two edged sword. My neighborhood in Texas had covenants, not deed restrictions. The covenants expired sometime in the '80's when the HOA members didn't bother renewing them (which takes a vote of the HOA, which was defunct). The covenants were renewed sometime in the late '90's, after I had bought my house, which means I'm not covered by them, so I can do anything any other landowner can do. My next door neighbor is in the same position. He operates his carpenter shop in his garage. He has his Mexican laborers (illegals) parking in front of my house, and in front of his house, and in my driveway when I'm not there (which is all the time, now), and the saws start at 0700 and go till midnight, and he has hundreds of gallons of paint stored in the shed behind his garage, and the list goes on. When my house was on the market last year, the common question the prospective home buyer would ask is if those cars parked there all the time. My property value has dropped significantly in part due to the covenants having expired. If a new buyer were to buy my house, they would be bound by the covenants of the neighborhood assn..

Frank:

1. I'm not so sure that the covenants will re-attach to your property if you sell it.

2. If your neighbor or his employees are interfering with your quiet enjoyment of your property or are trespassing, you have the right to sue him. Note that I am not advocating suing him and I am not sue happy, but there are laws that are designed to protect you from antics like his. Now, here is the beauty of the whole thing: As the plaintiff, you can probably get an attorney to do the case on a contingency fee basis. As the defendant, your neighbor will have to pay an attorney by the hour. And, my best guess, based on how things work in California, is that your neighbor's insurance will not cover the lawsuit (i.e. the insurance company will not pay for a lawyer to defend him). As a result, the moment he finds out how much of a retainer he will have to pay a lawyer, he will fall in line with decency.

In my neighborhood I saw a bumper sticker that read : "Respect da Locals".

Then I saw another one that read : "I respected the Locals ... and they STILL didn't give a sh*t !!!"

(Maybe you'd have to live here to see the humor in this.)

In my neighborhood I saw a bumper sticker that read : "Respect da Locals".

Then I saw another one that read : "I respected the Locals ... and they STILL didn't give a sh*t !!!"

(Maybe you'd have to live here to see the humor in this.)

I have lived there, and I think it's funny. I had a big ugly Moke decide to bust all the windows out of my rental car because he thought I was tailgating him. He did it right in front of the rental car drop off (the Alamo right on H1). They watched the whole thing. They got his license plate. They never charged me for the broken windows, and he was prosecuted. I still chuckle over that one. OBTW, I learned to drive in Boston. It isn't tailgating until you bump a few times.

No "Mokes" on H1, they're "Bubbas."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom