HOME AGAIN !!! Peacock 06/01/2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeandiver

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Well , after that wonderful dive in Manatee on Saturday , we decided to check out Peacock. I've been waiting for this all spring , and to say I was excited to get back into da Home Cave again , was an understatement.
Orange Grove was quite busy Sunday Morning with about 3 teams ahead of us. But once we hit the Distance Tunnel and turned towards Challenge , we had the cave to ourselves. :D
The Orange Grove tunnel was very nice btw.
Once we started the Challenge to Olsen leg , we noticed right away how dark the cave had gotten. There is still some tanic in the water and the floors and walls are covered with a lot of poofie silt. Needless to say we stayed as high as we could.
Ditto for the Olsen to P1 leg.

Vis was about 15-30 feet in the Challenge/Olsen/P1 leg. Lots of leaves on the floor too around the sinks. The P1 cavern was clear but the basin itself was pretty brown.
Nice thing was I could see the jumps to the Peanut line , the Cross-over line , Cisteen and the Nicholson tunnel. :D
(so you can gage the viz by that information et al)

However , all in all , a WONDERFUL DIVE! It was good to be home again , so to say :D

Maybe this next weekend , time to check out the Peanut line etc.

Thanks!
Jean

Thanks for the report. I am hoping to get a few dives in there this coming weekend. Glad to hear you are enjoying being 'home' :)

ahh, the nicholson tunnel...sigh. oh, and i paid for the pink tunnel again!

great to hear, jean! did the construction really change or improve the road, or was it just bs?

great to hear, jean! did the construction really change or improve the road, or was it just bs?

looks like they smoothed it out and added some gravel
it wasn't totally finished when I dove it but it's nice :)
no fun for bare feet though!

Glad to hear things have cleared up! Maybe next time we come, we'll get to dive there.

I was going to say , there are leaves in the Pink TUNNEL btw. :rofl3:
Of course , I didn't DARE clean them up , there right on top of the poofie.
The cave's gonna have to do that.

The road I think is really nice now. It's pretty flat and smooth. We actually walked it from P1 to OG (don't ask why) in booties :rofl3:
(we did the Grand Traverse and we didn't traverse the other vehicles keys ... EEK)

I don't know how the viz is INSIDE the Cisteen and Nicholson tunnels. But I'll be checking that out pretty soon too.

Anything else you want looked at? :D

Thanks!
Da Beano

you go with mike on the grand traverse?

no, look at whatever you'd like to in whatever order & let us know!

I don't know how the viz is INSIDE the Cisteen and Nicholson tunnels. But I'll be checking that out pretty soon too.
They are about the same as the P1 side - with the exception of where the river intrusion sometimes hangs out in Nicholson - it dropped right much there (maybe 10ft) and was a reddish color (tannic) where it is usually greenish.

The line in Nicholoson is the worst I saw in the system. Forget the leaves, there are branches hanging off the line in Nicholson (still one sweet dive - love that tunnel).

We found the peanut side to be in better shape - we went to the end of the line and cleaned a lot of it on the way out ( and unburied it where it was covered in silt).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom