Holy S...!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But, if experience will decrease death rate, I would expect even lower incidences for DM and instructors.

I'll dive with most anyone within reason. If they say they are a DM or instructor I take extra precautions. IMHO they are some of the worst divers around.

There are exceptions.

Vayu:
I'll dive with most anyone within reason. If they say they are a DM or instructor I take extra precautions. IMHO they are some of the worst divers around.

There are exceptions.
Isn't that sort of an unfair statement? Most of the Divemasters and instructors I know and have dived with are very cautious and respectful of the dive environment. They do not take their responsibilities lightly. I've seen divemasters work their ***** off to keep divers together when heavy current arises during a dive. I've seen them risk their own safety to assist less experienced divers who have uncontrolled ascents, etc.

On the flip side, during MY AOW class, I had an instructor pull me up from a safety stop by my elbow because "I was ascending too slow" and "THere is no need to do a safety stop if your max depth is only 47 feet."

So I have seen the dark side, but IMO the bad ones are the exception, rather than the other way around.

...I think that the highest incident of deaths is amongst the newest and the most experienced.--both ends of the experience continuim.

correct me, if I am wrong.

I thought that is what DAN is always pointing out.

catherine96821:
...I think that the highest incident of deaths is amongst the newest and the most experienced.--both ends of the experience continuim.

correct me, if I am wrong.

I thought that is what DAN is always pointing out.

I think you are right. If you look at their death statistics for the last 3 years - a large proportion of deaths is inexperienced beginnger, and a large proportion is in the "technical" category, which I assume is more experienced.

Could it be, that the experienced people are pushing the limit too much, and not realizing that their body is aging??

Age equals experience, but we forget that our body is changing - making us more prone to barotrauma (any smoking DM out there?), heart disease, nitrogen narcosis, etc...

From reading others' ideas and viewing the footage, I think the diver was attempting a bouce and suffered from O2 toxcicity at the bottom. He didn't appear distressed or injured during the descent. He didn't "present" the computer to the head-mounted camera because he was just looking at it for his own reference. There didn't appear to be any problem with the dive (aside from poor planning) until he was very deep.

I think he intended to descend quickly, touch the bottom, and ascend, but when he got deep and the PPO2 hit him he went into a siezure and couldn't save himself. This seems to be the simplest explanation, as there doesn't seem to be any obvious signs of distress until he was very deep.

That being said, it was a stupid dive plan that I wouldn't attempt.

fisherdvm:
I think you are right. If you look at their death statistics for the last 3 years - a large proportion of deaths is inexperienced beginnger, and a large proportion is in the "technical" category, which I assume is more experienced.

Could it be, that the experienced people are pushing the limit too much, and not realizing that their body is aging??

Age equals experience, but we forget that our body is changing - making us more prone to barotrauma (any smoking DM out there?), heart disease, nitrogen narcosis, etc...

In experienced divers there is also the problem of pushing the envelope a bit too often.
Diving outside the box, once too often.
This usually happens to divers that should know better, but may have developed a it can't happen to me.
From what I have seen in diving incident reports, inexperienced divers get hurt because sombody told them that "don't worry I know ahat I'm doing"

Art Vandalay:
From reading others' ideas and viewing the footage, I think the diver was attempting a bouce and suffered from O2 toxcicity at the bottom. He didn't appear distressed or injured during the descent. He didn't "present" the computer to the head-mounted camera because he was just looking at it for his own reference. There didn't appear to be any problem with the dive (aside from poor planning) until he was very deep.

I think he intended to descend quickly, touch the bottom, and ascend, but when he got deep and the PPO2 hit him he went into a siezure and couldn't save himself. This seems to be the simplest explanation, as there doesn't seem to be any obvious signs of distress until he was very deep.

That being said, it was a stupid dive plan that I wouldn't attempt.

If you scuba dive on just a normal dive tank and not trimix, will you still get O2 toxicity?

theunraveler:
If you scuba dive on just a normal dive tank and not trimix, will you still get O2 toxicity?

Since you haven't published a profile I'll assume this is a lay question.
As you go deeper on normal air the partial pressures of all the gases in the air mix increase proportionally.
Each gas will cause different effects - the inert ones like N2 will cause narcosis and the O2 will start to have toxic effects. Individuals react differently but basically once you get below 60m you're playing with statistics.

As for trimix, it depends whether you're talking normoxic or hypoxic mixes. In terms of O2 toxicity you don't gain anything with a normoxic mix. You should still stay above 60m.
A hypoxic mix has reduced percentage of O2 and will let you go (relatively) safely below 60m but the gas can only be used at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom