Holy S...!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abit out of topic but I would like to know what type of camera he's using?

AFAIK Dahab, Blue Hole cannot be dived unless you have a guide with you right? So how did this guy slip through?

johnnyseko:
Since 1968, more than 100 divers lost their lives at this mysterious place."

It is ashame when accidents happen. Not to make a joke, but I shudder everytime I read a comment about "Scuba diving is safer than bowling", or "Scuba is safer than being a passenger in a car".

Scubadiving is safe, only when you realize, it is unsafe, and is a risky recreational activity.

I agree with your bowling statement but I would much rather be in the water diving than on the road with some of the drivers I see. I've always said I more worried about getting to a dive site than the actual dive.

I think once you are aware of the risks, it can be minimized to being safer than being on the road. The problem we have on the road are stupid risky people driving. The problem we have with diving, is also, we have stupid risky people diving.

I do think you are right as far as having some people in the water that should not be there but I do a lot of diving, all in resort type areas so I see a lot of different people everyday and I see only a minute percentage I would classify that way.

I have no sound on my computer.
Just saw the video and read the subtitles.
I do not know about you guys.
This left me feeling very very bad.
The last comments
SPORT WHAT SPORT
That hit a nerve with me.
It's 10mins since I last saw it and I still feel like I've lost a friend.
We can tear this video to shreds with our whys? Hows? Maybes?
But unless we read the inquest report we will not know what happened, even then there is still some conjectour.
Ultimately, the only one that can tell us is not around.
He is dead.
I'm more worried that his family came to terms with what happened.
Sometimes what we forget, when we take risks, is to ask if its worth it.
A friend of mine carries a laminated photo of his wife and kids stuck to his slate.
When he thinks that he's about to take a risk he did not plan on he looks at the photo and asks himself
"IS IT WORTH IT?"

Tonio Anastasi:
"IS IT WORTH IT?"[/B]

I have a son, and a family to support. That's why I am very concern about any risky activities that I do, including driving.

I think I am a very conservative diver. I am planning to spray paint my hood orange to increase visibility. I am the nerdy guy with a sausage on my BC, snorkel on my hood, and a diver noise signal device.

It is interesting to read in these columns, as proportionately, divemasters and dive instructors lead the category in incidence of death, vs. the recreational folks. With a ratio of probably 2000 certified divers per instructor, you see instructors dying with much larger frequency.

I think that underline the risk in the sport. Perhaps when one get overconfident, dive deeper, dive alone, dive without a buddy, or dive with old equipments - we are more likely to experience a life threatening situation. I am not saying that experience equals increase risk.. These folks are doing at least 300 dives a year, and certainly their risk is increased accordingly.. But I sense that their risk might be equal or greater than an average joe diver like you and me, because they take more risk - when it is not risking their customer's life.

I see videographers as a group of diving professional who usually do not have a dive buddy, they usually are swimming way behind the main group, to get photos of interesting fish, etc... That is why this diver was ignored by his buddy and the main group.

It is very boring and tedious to be a buddy to a videographer. That's probably why the guy dove alone.

A friend of mine carries a laminated photo of his wife and kids stuck to his slate.
When he thinks that he's about to take a risk he did not plan on he looks at the photo and asks himself
"IS IT WORTH IT?"

wow. Talk about taking the fun out.

I joke with my kids "well, if I don't make it back, you've been great kids!" I think if anything ever happens they will be better off for the lightheartedness. Death is part of life. I don't agree with making it all a big drama, because enough stuff happens to bring you to your knees without anticipating the anguish...I think your loved ones will handle your death, should it happen, in the same tone as you lived your life.

The best thing you can do for your loved ones is let them know you were aware of the risks and wanted to do these things anyway.

fisherdvm:
It is interesting to read in these columns, as proportionately, divemasters and dive instructors lead the category in incidence of death, vs. the recreational folks. With a ratio of probably 2000 certified divers per instructor, you see instructors dying with much larger frequency.
Without conceding this to be true, don't you think that dive masters and instructors do a lot more dives vs the recreational folks?

vladimir:
Without conceding this to be true, don't you think that dive masters and instructors do a lot more dives vs the recreational folks?

I thought I mentioned that, assuming that they did 3 dives a day, multiplied by 200, that would be about 600 dives a year. An average recreational diver do probably 10 to 30 dives a year... We would expect a ratio of about 1 to 60 to 1 in 20.

You might be right, perhaps recreational divers do die at a higher rate per dive than DM and instructors... But, if experience will decrease death rate, I would expect even lower incidences for DM and instructors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom