Hollis M3 Fit and Comfort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bmackenzie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to diving, and just purchased the Hollis M3. I've been trying it out pool side and found the silicone presses against the bottom of my nose. The mask does seal, but small amounts of water, perhaps residual from my face, or after mask clears swirl around the bottom of my nose :/ It's quite off putting. Overall it is a very comfortable mask and feels great around the rest of my face. Any advice?

Well what I do is shave a bit under my nose so there is some skin between my mustache and my nose. It made a huge difference in my mask fit. No more leaks. YMMV. I was expecting to get snide comments from my wife or friends but they didn't seem to even notice.

Good advice, unfortunately I removed the lot before attempting my pool side assessment :)

I have found the strap position makes a lot of difference for mask fit, and be sure the strap is not too tight.

I dove for years with leaking masks. After countless dives with mask leaks I finally found a high volume mask that does not leak. That said, if you are new it may just be you. No offense, there are just some discomforts in diving that you will get used to.
As for your mask, when you clear tilt forward and see if any water remains. If not, and then there is, well, its leaking.
Try wiggling your nose, smile, wink, anything that causes facial movement and see if the leak rate increases. If you can isolate where you can then look for a mask that seals or flexes better in that location(s).
Also, when you try on a mask at the store make sure you use a snorkel or reg to deform your upper lip in the shape it will be when you dive.
And when you dive the strap should be pretty loose. Mine always comes off during backrolls but the mask stays put with hand pressure. Too much (which is not much at all) will cause the skirt seal to deflect from its intended design. And you'll get a head ache!!
Good luck.

Thanks for the advice gfaith and gassed, It sounds like I may have been wearing the mask too tightly and I'll try to reposition the straps a bit :)

Thanks for the advice gfaith and gassed, It sounds like I may have been wearing the mask too tightly and I'll try to reposition the straps a bit :)

You can get one of those cool neoprene mask straps and it should fit about like a ball cap. As with a ball cap, if you get it too tight you get a head ache, but then you get that hat just right and it fits and stays on your head even in high winds. It is the exact same with your dive mask.

Back
Top Bottom