Hard to fit mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the same problem with mask leaks and poor fitment. Recently bought a Dive Rite Frameless before a liveaboard trip and it's been the best mask I've ever used by far. An entire week of diving and I think I may have had to clear my mask once or twice vs clearing every 10 min for my previous one. It's also so damn comfortable. Only 80 bucks too...

I'm a tough seal; I like the AquaLung SeaQuest Visage. Not prefect, but as good or better than a few others I've tried (and was pretty cheap). I have to shave the top off my mustache and shave the random hairs on my checks. I might start the dive with a great seal, but once I use a finger to break it to let a little wash to swish around and get rid of fog, after that, there's generally a trickle.

I don't use low volume masks; tried one and discovered 'low volume' = 'fills fast' when there's a leak. Which is funny, because 'low volume' is like a selling point judging from ads.

Low volume can be good as a backup if you carry a 2nd mask and want something that fits in a pocket, though. I have an Atomic Aquatics Subframe (if I recall the name correctly from years ago), that seals about as well as my Visage mask, but it feels like someone put the end of their finger to a point right between my eyes, and pressed. Unless I diligently keep it well-equalized, that uncomfortable pressure irritates me through the dive. It may be a defect in mine specifically, but there it is. It's my backup mask in a pocket.

Some people use Vaseline petroleum jelly for facial creases of mustaches; it's a petroleum product not expected to break down soon, so I don't use due to pollution. Some say use silicone grease instead; bought a little tub, and it's too runny, not thick enough to last.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom