Hard to fit mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy in NC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I have been diving for eight years and haven't fell in love with a mask yet.
Every mask seems to leak around the bottom of the nose area.

I cannot find a really good fit, I recently heard that the smaller the mask the better the fit.
My face is not wide but the leaking doesn't seem to be on the sides.

Is there anyone who has had troubles with masks

Just a question...where do you wear your mask strap? I used to have a problem with my mask leaking. I as wearing the strap above my ears. One day, I pulled it down until it was across my ears. It didn't leak a bit. I started wearing it like that and I no longer have a leak problem.

This is just a suggestion for something to try and may not work for you.

I had the same issues with leaks happening right below my nose. The two that work for me are the Gull Mantis and the TUSA Ceos. I have several others that were tolerable for snorkeling but a real pain for scuba. All of them passed the mask fit suction test in the store, so it was hard to know until underwater.

P.S. There is a third that also works but a bit old fashioned. A oval single pane OG mask also seals well for my face.

So I have been diving for eight years and haven't fell in love with a mask yet.
Every mask seems to leak around the bottom of the nose area.

I cannot find a really good fit, I recently heard that the smaller the mask the better the fit.
My face is not wide but the leaking doesn't seem to be on the sides.

Is there anyone who has had troubles with masks
I’ve gone though quite a few: Atomic Frameless, Frameless 2, and Venom Framless and all had leakage issues for me (Venom was the worst as it also fogged towards the end of every dive no matter what I did to it). I also bought a few from Mares and Scuba Pro and tried them out in my brother’s pool and returned them).

I finally settled on the Tusa Paragon - it’s the absolute best mask I have ever used: pretty much zero leakage or fogging and super comfortable with good field of view. I also picked up a Paragon S as a backup and switch between them. The only downside is that they are expensive - but worth every penny for me!

Just a question...where do you wear your mask strap? I used to have a problem with my mask leaking. I as wearing the strap above my ears. One day, I pulled it down until it was across my ears. It didn't leak a bit. I started wearing it like that and I no longer have a leak problem.

This is just a suggestion for something to try and may not work for you.
I never tried that, I will give it a shot

I’ve gone though quite a few: Atomic Frameless, Frameless 2, and Venom Framless and all had leakage issues for me (Venom was the worst as it also fogged towards the end of every dive no matter what I did to it). I also bought a few from Mares and Scuba Pro and tried them out in my brother’s pool and returned them).

I finally settled on the Tusa Paragon - it’s the absolute best mask I have ever used: pretty much zero leakage or fogging and super comfortable with good field of view. I also picked up a Paragon S as a backup and switch between them. The only downside is that they are expensive - but worth every penny for me!
Thank you, I think what happens is the test isn't done with a reg in your mouth and that changes the seal, I will give those a try and as far as the paragon being $$$ if its seals then its worth it. Whats funny is the best mask I ever had was a cheapo, couldn't even find a name on it

Reactions: L13
I had the same issues with leaks happening right below my nose. The two that work for me are the Gull Mantis and the TUSA Ceos. I have several others that were tolerable for snorkeling but a real pain for scuba. All of them passed the mask fit suction test in the store, so it was hard to know until underwater.

P.S. There is a third that also works but a bit old fashioned. A oval single pane OG mask also seals well for my face.

JCP2
Do you know which Gull Mantis worked ? Looks like there are a bunch

I’ve rarely had a mask I couldn’t make work but so far the Tusa Paragon and scubapro “D” are at the top of the list, I require some magnification so the “D” has won out the top spot since I can easily buy replacement lens’ from SP, paragon not so much.

Thank you, I think what happens is the test isn't done with a reg in your mouth and that changes the seal, I will give those a try and as far as the paragon being $$$ if its seals then its worth it. Whats funny is the best mask I ever had was a cheapo, couldn't even find a name on it
Exactly - the face suction test is not a good indicator in my experience. It’s far better, if possible, to try it on your face underwater with a reg in your mouth!

And… if a cheap mask fits, go for it. We all have different face shapes and skin textures (and creases/furrows as we get older) - so it’s really about finding one that works, regardless of price.

JCP2
Do you know which Gull Mantis worked ? Looks like there are a bunch
The regular one, not the low volume one.

I got it from this store in person, and I think it’s also branded as Riffe Mantis in Europe. Once I found this mask I used the feel of it to try the TUSA Ceos, and that fit as well.

Back
Top Bottom