Hollis Explorer rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand rebreather certification. I thought you were trained by an instructor certified by the manufacturer, not an agency.

PADI can certify someone for the Explorer, but they then can't pack their own scrubbers? But if you take a TDI course, you can? Do scuba police enforce this?

Sorry for the remedial procedural questions.

Hello Matt, you're actually asking very reasonable questions.
As for how rebreather instructor ratings are issued: this is done by an Instructor Trainer that has been qualified by the training agency to train instructors. In many cases, the manufacturer is part of the process and gives the final OK for the instructor to be issued the rating on that rebreather.
As for the scrubber packing, I can only speak for TDI. But yes, in the TDI Explorer Rebreather Course, the student is trained in how to pack their own scrubber. There are no "scuba police" that would reprimand someone for packing their own scrubber if their qualifying agency does not allow it, however I would not recommend doing something that you have not been trained to do (especially if it could cost you your life if done incorrectly).

I hope this answers some of your questions.

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2013 at 12:55 PM ----------

In order to be considered a type-r rebreather by padi I think it must have a pre-packed scrubber and a BOV amongst other things. I think TDI is happy with just BOV.

Daru

Daru,
TDI does not qualify rebreathers as "technical" or "recreational".

That is correct, the distinction it's currently with padi. It was more for showing the different requirements between the two agencies since a padi type-t rebreathers have a different set of requirements then a type-r

please splain-ta-me because I don't get it? This is a recreational re-breather. It is expensive per dive relative to diving OC because you have to purchase the scrubber, the sensors(they do require replacement frequently), the batteries and the loop disinfectant and if you are traveling the excess weight, it requires more pre and post dive maintenance, care and planning, you don't really get any more bottom time or depth, there is increased risk regardless of what is claimed. So why would I spend $5K to buy the rebreather and another $1K to be trained on it? I can do a lot of diving for that $6K and spend a lot more time at the cabana sipping mai tais after the dive if I just stay with EANx32.

Hi Jerry, I have several rebreather unit certifications including the Hollis Explorer. The operational costs are more than OC diving but less than what you would think. Pre-packed scrubbers are significantly more expensive than straight absorbent. Packing on the Explorer is fairly quick, usually takes me about 5 minutes. The electronics have their own charger so they do not need batteries. O2 cells do need to be changed annually and additionally you need to replace the CO2 sensor with the Explorer. Disinfectant like Steramine is very very cheap and will last you a long time. The cost for diving is maybe $5-$10 for sorb, price of nitrox and the sensors which come in to play later. Your bottom time will be determined by your resource consumption; your limiting resource is calculated for you automatically through the electronics. If you set your flow rate to about 10% you can have longer dive times, setting the flow rate higher will increase your PO2 which will let you stay down at depth for longer but goes through your air faster. It IS after all a rebreather so your gas supply lasts significantly longer than a normal OC dive on nitrox.

The great thing about Hollis is they are making dive centers "Explorer resorts" with certified technicians and parts so traveling is very easy. The unit itself isn't that heavy and the great thing about the Explorer is you can use AL80s on it. So as long as your dive center has nitrox, then you can dive it. And finally we are getting into the main argument with rebreathers. They DO require significantly more pre and post dive care which a lot of people are turned off by. There is a market for divers that have been diving OC forever and are going to rebreathers because it is something new, exciting and fun to do. While it is not a true closed system you can get a lot closer to wildlife which is great for photography. Personally, I love rebreathers. Does it make sense for everyone to dive rebreather? Absolutely not! They are a lot more money but I always have much more enjoyable dives when I dive my Prism2 or on an Explorer. Hope this helps with your concern.

Hi all I'm mark and I have just joined the forums, I'm really interested in the explorer but just have one question how long can you spend at say 30 metres on say 32% on a ppo2 of 1.4 before you have to accend to shallower depths? Look forward to hearing from you.

kind regards
mark

Assuming all time at depth, you would get whatever the ndl is for EAN 35 approximately.

Darushin

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Well I just got mine wanting on sorb now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 540
I should finish training today. I got mine last weekend

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Took mine out this weekend and dove it with the CO2 sensor installed. Much easier unit to setup with that sensor installed. The sensor actually works very well and isn't as moisture proned as I thought it would be.

I will post more later when I have time

Daru

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom