Hollis Explorer rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darn it, I've spent the last two weeks reading every inch of Explorer info I could find, and was twenty minutes from booking a flight for my Explorer classes. Everything seemed so way cool, until I saw these last two pages today. Someone please push me of the fence, one way or another.

Mike

sent from my 7 year old flip phone

Sending mine back too. PM me if you want details.

I've dove a couple Explorers and can say without a doubt the unit is far underperforming expectations.

In fact, I would argue that a diver who is diving equivalent Nitrox mix OC versus an Explorer diver has a [significant] decompression advantage on all dives. This unit successfully reduces comparative NDL, costs more to operate, the scrubber doesn't last as long as most divers with an AL80, and for all those disadvantages you gain 2/3s of the risk of a CCR (it's essentially impossible to tox). I evaluate the Hollis Explorer in its current state as a risk enhancer and dive time reducer. I actually think Hollis should announce a voluntary recall and take a very serious look at the software running on the handset prior to allowing inexperienced closed circuit divers access to the machines.

I cancelled my order, cancelled my instructor x-over class, and suggested my dive buddies look elsewhere in rebreather technology .

My experience with unit. Scrubber life will meet expectations when you do two things. First you use nitrox 40 and second turn the dcp down from 95 to 50. This lower dcp means a little less ndl (my exp is it still matches nitrox 36). The higher nitrox means less shots of air from the solenoid which means less clicks on the click counter that is also used to measure CO2 absorbent. I can get 2hrs using the above settings with a CO2 sensor. Ultimately, this unit may work with nitrox 32 but the unit really was designed for nitrox 40

Dar

And you can easily, quickly, and inexpensively get nitrox 40 where?

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2013 at 06:48 PM ----------

Wow, after reading further, so disappointing. I was, after quite a long time, considering switching away from OC. I'm sorry, I get 80+ minutes at 60 feet on nitrox 32 from an Al 80. I would not switch unless I got the equivalent of 2 dives from one setup.

...if you are pulling the scrubber between dives, letting it cool, reinstalling it, and then tricking the computer to think you installed a fresh scrubber...

Holy cow, are people doing that?

And you can easily, quickly, and inexpensively get nitrox 40 where?

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2013 at 06:48 PM ----------

Wow, after reading further, so disappointing. I was, after quite a long time, considering switching away from OC. I'm sorry, I get 80+ minutes at 60 feet on nitrox 32 from an Al 80. I would not switch unless I got the equivalent of 2 dives from one setup.

Sounds more like Poseiden, is that correct?

I'm very confused by this system. Even with the advertised run time of 2 hours, that's less time than you'd get on open circuit. Way more money, more complications and risks, and less time than you'd get with a normal tank (way less if you're using big guns like double 130s). Is no bubbles really the only sales pitch, or am I missing something here?

(I'm not talking about it underperforming like people are reporting here, but even if it performs exactly as advertised why is this worth all the money, time, etc?)

I'm very confused by this system...even if it performs exactly as advertised why is this worth all the money, time, etc?)

To be fair, this question isn't really unique to the Hollis Explorer. We're not supposed to exist underwater and we must used flawed gizmos, widgets, and gadgets to take our bodies where we want to go. Most divers see rebreathers as whiz-bang gadetry, mostly unnecessary, used by the 1%-ers. Whether that's true or not in whole or part, rebreathers do one thing quite well, which is decrease the quantity of gas used versus Open Circuit. You are still subjected to the same perils, drowning, hypoxia, and hyperoxia that any diver could experience, but it's generally agreed you're adding the evil risks of CO2. What the Hollis Explorer proposes to do is basically eliminate hyperoxia as a risk while giving you a machine capable of extending a fixed supply gas. Only you can decide if you're willing to accept the risks assocaited with breathing a semi/closed circuit loop or not for that marginal benefit.

IF you're looking at a technical rebreather and you're already down the path of Trimix dives a rebreather is often very easy to justify based simply on gas savings and possibly to a lesser extent, logistics. There really are no cost savings assocaited with a recreational rebreather I can find. You're adding scrubber to your per/dive cost, and to be honest many places want a full rate fill for half the gas in your little rebreather bottle. So you have to want it to be your new dive toy, and enjoy it for what it is...

I had looked at doing a Hollis Explorer try-dive, just because that's the rebreather offered by our LDS. I'm really glad I've read this thread. I certainly won't waste even the small amount of time/money on a try dive.
Sounds to me like this rebreather was released before it was really ready. Any chance there will be a recall?

Back
Top Bottom