Hollis Explorer rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luc Sergerie

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello

I try find more info on the new Hollis Explorer Rebreather, i have see the 2 video at The Florida show, i know this unit will be around 5K,
but where is the rest of the info?

Any Diver doing testing now?

cheers

Luc

Last edited:
Jill is diving one, but beyond that it appears the unit is a white unicorn.

Jill is diving one, but beyond that it appears the unit is a white unicorn.

What do you mean exactly by "white unicorn" ?

I'm trying to get a straight answer on Hollis' marketing claims as well. What do they mean by "hybrid" rebreather (qua - closed versus semi closed circuit) ? They claim to be "unique" as using Nitrox...while the other semi-s also use Nitrox. Is their marketing "schtick" hyperbole....or is the unit truly unique ? I currently dive the APD Evolution and the Poseidon Mk-VI.

There is a lot of info on the rebreather world forum and ccr explorer forum with pictures and videos. I call Hollis they advised release was around July-August time frame the CO2 sensor will not immediately be availible till August or later no price on CO2 either but break down per Hollis unit:4900 and change, tank 300 and change, And tank valve 137 and change.

Does the $5K include training?

I saw about six units in use underwater today. Innerspace@ Divetech/Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman. They are real. Bruce Partridge from Shearwater was diving one, a student from So. Africa, and some Hollis types.
Cheers.

I'm trying to get a straight answer on Hollis' marketing claims as well. What do they mean by "hybrid" rebreather (qua - closed versus semi closed circuit) ? They claim to be "unique" as using Nitrox...while the other semi-s also use Nitrox. Is their marketing "schtick" hyperbole....or is the unit truly unique ? I currently dive the APD Evolution and the Poseidon Mk-VI.

I dive the Poseidon MKVI also and I am doing the qualifier course on the Explorer next month.

The main difference is the Explorer is an eSCR. The electronics changes the set pp02 to maximize the NDL and bottom time. So you can set the pp02 to 1.4 at depth but when you ascend, it changes the pp02 to as low as 0.3, 0.4 to maximize your oxygen. In other models like the Drager, SCRs release a constant stream of bubbles. The Explorer decides when it wants to be a CCR and when it wants to be a SCR, for greater gas efficiency.

This unit was developed by tec and rebreather authority, Kevin Gurr. Like the Evo, the Explorer also has a temp stick in addition to a CO2 sensor. Of course it has the 3 O2 sensors as well. The front of the unit is sleek because the counterlungs are inside the module and can be cleaned easily. Another great feature that Kevin designed was a spring in the scrubber canister. It the scrubber is not installed, it is physically impossible to breathe on the rig. The scrubber also comes in pre-packed canisters.
The other great thing about the spring in the canister is green. So if I am an instructor, I can just look down the line real quick to see if the scrubbers have been installed.
213887927_640.jpg

About your nitrox question, the explorer can take different levels of nitrox. It works best on an EANx40 but can also do an EANX36 or x32. It also has a very simple HUD. It is green when everything is good, flashes blue-green when there is a message...the electronics may recommend ascending to a shallower depth, if it goes red then switch to the BOV and ascend.
Hollis_Explorer-rebreather.jpg
The Explorer also has integrated weights which is SO much better than a weight belt. Plus you get the comfortable harness that comes standard with Hollis. Hope that answered your question!

No. To see the schedule, click here On that same page, are downloadable PDF's with more info, costs, prerequisite's, etc.

You should take your own advice and get rebreather trained Dudley!!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom