Hollis Explorer rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My understanding is the unit will have the wiring and all that is needed is the actual sensor. If that is the case and you know a VR Sentinel Diver ask to try theirs. The sensor tech is pretty much straight from the Sentinel, so I would wager that the sensor is the same.

Daru

please splain-ta-me because I don't get it? This is a recreational re-breather. It is expensive per dive relative to diving OC because you have to purchase the scrubber, the sensors(they do require replacement frequently), the batteries and the loop disinfectant and if you are traveling the excess weight, it requires more pre and post dive maintenance, care and planning, you don't really get any more bottom time or depth, there is increased risk regardless of what is claimed. So why would I spend $5K to buy the rebreather and another $1K to be trained on it? I can do a lot of diving for that $6K and spend a lot more time at the cabana sipping mai tais after the dive if I just stay with EANx32.

When it all works you can stay longer under water to max NDL and the higher po2 helps to. There are batteries but you don't replace them you just charge them right now the scrubber is refillable not replaceable then sensors are mostly replaced yearly or just over. Weight is around doubles or just under. But yes pre and post dive duties are longer and if done wrong can lead to death or injuries.

Setup takes about 10 mins not including sterilization which is a daily event. Cost of consumables is about $6.00 per hour for scrubber and fill as compared to 12 to 15 dollars for a nitrox AL80 fill for an hour (approx). Battery is rechargeable.

Are they committed to repackable scrubbers? First stuff I read was that you'd have to buy single-use scrubbers unless you had an instructor certification.

I guess we'll know more soon. (I'm probably not buying one, but I am darn curious about all the details.)

That is a PADI thing. TDI lets you pack your own scrubbers.

Are they committed to repackable scrubbers? First stuff I read was that you'd have to buy single-use scrubbers unless you had an instructor certification.

I guess we'll know more soon. (I'm probably not buying one, but I am darn curious about all the details.)

In order to be considered a type-r rebreather by padi I think it must have a pre-packed scrubber and a BOV amongst other things. I think TDI is happy with just BOV.

Daru

I don't understand rebreather certification. I thought you were trained by an instructor certified by the manufacturer, not an agency.

PADI can certify someone for the Explorer, but they then can't pack their own scrubbers? But if you take a TDI course, you can? Do scuba police enforce this?

Sorry for the remedial procedural questions.

I don't understand rebreather certification. I thought you were trained by an instructor certified by the manufacturer, not an agency.

PADI can certify someone for the Explorer, but they then can't pack their own scrubbers? But if you take a TDI course, you can? Do scuba police enforce this?

Sorry for the remedial procedural questions.

Hello Matt, you're actually asking very reasonable questions.
As for how rebreather instructor ratings are issued: this is done by an Instructor Trainer that has been qualified by the training agency to train instructors. In many cases, the manufacturer is part of the process and gives the final OK for the instructor to be issued the rating on that rebreather.
As for the scrubber packing, I can only speak for TDI. But yes, in the TDI Explorer Rebreather Course, the student is trained in how to pack their own scrubber. There are no "scuba police" that would reprimand someone for packing their own scrubber if their qualifying agency does not allow it, however I would not recommend doing something that you have not been trained to do (especially if it could cost you your life if done incorrectly).

I hope this answers some of your questions.

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2013 at 12:55 PM ----------

In order to be considered a type-r rebreather by padi I think it must have a pre-packed scrubber and a BOV amongst other things. I think TDI is happy with just BOV.

Daru

Daru,
TDI does not qualify rebreathers as "technical" or "recreational".

Thanks Jon, that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom