Holbox diver dies in Chiquilá from decompression sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ibj40

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've never heard of any scuba diving around Chiquilá, but it's been many years since I've been there and all I saw was the parking area before boarding a boat to Holbox.

• The article says she was diving at Holbox island, and was transferred to Chiquila for medical treatment.
Yes, they're only about seven miles apart, same area. One is an island, the other the port on the peninsular. I wouldn't expect much in the way of medical treatment locally. Cancun is over 80 miles away. Even tho she was from Chile, she or a buddy could have called DAN North America collect for advice. Funding for medevac flight and treatment would yet be a personal responsibility.

We have a whole “technical diving” mentality that we can and should do decompression diving as a technical dive. I have a basic problem with this whole mentality. I will not do a decompression dive without a recompression chamber immediately available. Which means, I’m a recreational diver who will always dive within the no-decompression limits.

Somehow, divers today are trained that they can make safe decompression dives following stringent guidelines specified in their technical diving training. This is a fallacy! If something goes wrong, the divers surface, and try breathing pure oxygen while being transferred via car, ambulance, boat or low-flying helicopter to a recompression facility, all the while they potentially are bubbling and enduring the agonies of decompression sickness. There is a reason it’s nicknamed “The Bends.”

If you want to see the real agonies of “the bends,” read between pages 212 and 223 of Robert Kurson’s book, Shadow Divers, The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II.” It describes in excruciating detail the fatal dives of Chris and Christie Rouse.

SeaRat

We have a whole “technical diving” mentality that we can and should do decompression diving as a technical dive. I have a basic problem with this whole mentality. I will not do a decompression dive without a recompression chamber immediately available. Which means, I’m a recreational diver who will always dive within the no-decompression limits.

Somehow, divers today are trained that they can make safe decompression dives following stringent guidelines specified in their technical diving training. This is a fallacy! If something goes wrong, the divers surface, and try breathing pure oxygen while being transferred via car, ambulance, boat or low-flying helicopter to a recompression facility, all the while they potentially are bubbling and enduring the agonies of decompression sickness. There is a reason it’s nicknamed “The Bends.”

If you want to see the real agonies of “the bends,” read between pages 212 and 223 of Robert Kurson’s book, Shadow Divers, The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II.” It describes in excruciating detail the fatal dives of Chris and Christie Rouse.

SeaRat
Due to the proliferation of the sponge diving industry in Greece, the Hellenic Coast Guard has pressurized chambers for transporting divers to facilities with decompression chambers. You are at most 30 minutes away.

No evidence she actually died from decompression sickness.
No dive profile mentioned or attempts to resuscitate discussed.
She surfaced and was transported but arrived unconscious (probably dead).
Mexico is not known for it's in depth forensic analysis for these types of deaths.

No evidence she actually died from decompression sickness.
No dive profile mentioned or attempts to resuscitate discussed.
She surfaced and was transported but arrived unconscious (probably dead).
Mexico is not known for it's in depth forensic analysis for these types of deaths.
Probably not "evidence" in the legal sense, but the article seems quite explicit to me saying that the cause of death was DCS.
"A woman has reportedly died in Chiquilá due to lack of proper decompression. The female tourist had completed a dive off the island of Holbox but experienced decompression sickness upon resurfacing".

Probably not "evidence" in the legal sense, but the article seems quite explicit to me saying that the cause of death was DCS.
"A woman has reportedly died in Chiquilá due to lack of proper decompression. The female tourist had completed a dive off the island of Holbox but experienced decompression sickness upon resurfacing".
And how many articles have you seen where divers had Oxygen cylinders ?

Back
Top Bottom