Hogarthian Regs best and worst

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MT_Shadow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am in the market for a set of regs. Diveriteexpress has diverite rg2010 in there hog setup. Anyone know these regs. Other thought is jetstream, can the reg be broken down underwater Hog style. I am asking for help here because I can be sold on gizmos very easily and that is why I am gravitating toward Hogarthian. All my gizmos will someday get me killed?:coffee:

I am in the market for a set of regs. Diveriteexpress has diverite rg2010 in there hog setup. Anyone know these regs. Other thought is jetstream, can the reg be broken down underwater Hog style. I am asking for help here because I can be sold on gizmos very easily and that is why I am gravitating toward Hogarthian. All my gizmos will someday get me killed?:coffee:

So, Hogarthian is a philosophy of minimalism and simplicity.... When it comes to regulators, your best reference would be from GUE, their gear page text is fairly comprehensive on what to look for.

The traditional DR regs fall under the category... I'm not so sure about the Jetsreams (which I believe DR primarily OEM'd to further sidemounting)

An excellent page of summary netmage. But it doesn't make suggestions. Just what to look for. I need information on the dr2010 to make an informed choice as to whether or not the hog kit is worth buying. I've heard the Jetstreams performance is great at depth but that it doesn't exhuast well in some positions. While this makes simmon says with seals tough I dont see it as a problem. It does not boast its simplicity in any site though. hmmmm I am no longer looking at side exhuast but would like suggestions for simple easy breathers that handle mix, depth, and cold. "I dive in Montana"

if you are looking for a good breathing cold water reg the Jets are probably your best bet...I have them and I dove them from the warm waters of Bonaire to the frigid waters of Georgian bay -- they never leave me wanting

If you are looking for a "hog" regulator you would be better off with a solid balanced 1st, adjustable downstream 2nd, such as the dive rite. Downstream second stages are so-called "fail-safe" so in the event of a 1st stage failure, the 2nd will fail open and continue to deliver air. The jetstream has an "upstream" 2nd stage. If the first stage freeflows, it will force the 2nd close, possibly cutting off air and risking overpressurization. So you need to have an OPV on the system (additional failure point) and you may or may not be able to get air from the system. Ideally, the OPV will handle the overpressurization and you can still get air from the reg, so I don't know if the hate for these regs is truly justified, but whatever. The industry as a whole has moved away from upstream 2nds, so pretty much anything that is not a poseidon will be more "hog-friendly".

An excellent page of summary netmage. But it doesn't make suggestions. Just what to look for. I need information on the dr2010 to make an informed choice as to whether or not the hog kit is worth buying. I've heard the Jetstreams performance is great at depth but that it doesn't exhuast well in some positions. While this makes simmon says with seals tough I dont see it as a problem. It does not boast its simplicity in any site though. hmmmm I am no longer looking at side exhuast but would like suggestions for simple easy breathers that handle mix, depth, and cold. "I dive in Montana"

The dr2010's are good regs... for cold water diving personally I prefer diaphragm's (which these are), I got my start in Chicago..., so yeah I know cold water... Add the ice kit for environmental sealing and these are good workhorse regs...

I have one generation back, before they went black, on my O2 bottle. Easy to clean and maintain yourself and good breather.

Thanks again netmage. I'm glad I found someone with experience with these regs and that you didn't hate it. Also battles2a5 I think the Jetsteam vents at the 1st stage if a free flow happens. DiveRite moved the 2nd upstream so they could long hose the reg without getting a special hose. The original Posiden required a special hose I think.

They didn't move the 2nd upstream, they moved the OPV from the hose to the first stage so that standard LP hoses could be used. It doesn't change the fact that the 2nd stage is an upstream design and it has the same drawbacks, which have historically driven hogarthian divers away from these regs. Same 1st and 2nd stage design, different way of dealing w/ overpressurization.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression from the diverite website that they added security to the 1st stage to deal with overpressurization/ freeflow so that the problem was covered but in a different way.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom