Question First Regs to self service- Deep 6 vs. HOG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe a bigger question ...

Are you super independent and willing to put together all of the required tools and equipment before hand and then take a remote video class for the service?
-or-
Is there an instructor that you can reasonably get to in person for a class.

Other musings:

Deep Six's regs are absolutely more sophisticated in looks and finish - I think the plating will hold up better and the materials of the consumables (o-rings/seats/poppets) have some improvements that may give longer/better service. In some sense it is an Acura/Honda comparison.
The TCO is also likely less for the Deep Six due to the included service and kits.

OTOH: $250-300 per kit difference ea. on 2 kits means that you could have a full spare kit for the about the same upfront (not long term) cost. Which means ready to go spares if you have a problem.

D1 vs D3:
D1 can turn a little (about 90 deg) side to side due to interference with the hand-wheel - D3 can rotate completely. Really no issue for backmount
D1 is a little bit shorter and a little bit heavier than a D3 (D1 DIN - 1.785lbs, D3 DIN - 1.709lbs)
If moving between DIN and Yoke attachments is advantageous - Yoke conversions (not adapter) for a DIN D3 are available and pretty easy to install (D1 seems to be out of stock for a very long time.)

Don't get the "Octo" version of the HOG 2nd stage - get the same one as your primary Zenith/Classic with the adjustment knob.
Classic 2nds will save you a few more bucks with the same performance as the Zenith. The Classic color change kit is $5 and takes less than a minute to do - Zenith is $15 and requires minor disassembly of the faceplate.

Maybe a bigger question ...

Are you super independent and willing to put together all of the required tools and equipment before hand and then take a remote video class for the service?
-or-
Is there an instructor that you can reasonably get to in person for a class.
We're both very independent and are already ordering the tools- we don't mind the remote class and following along as that's what we've had to do the last couple years in our professional life for our work.

If moving between DIN and Yoke attachments is advantageous - Yoke conversions (not adapter) for a DIN D3 are available and pretty easy to install (D1 seems to be out of stock for a very long time.)
This is a really good point and something I hadn't seen posted elsewhere.

Thanks everyone for the advice- looks like I'll be going with signatures :)

I'd love to have waited for a possible black Friday sale, but with how much we are diving, it would quickly pay for itself not renting regs, so I'll probably just bite the bullet in the next week.

Thanks everyone for the advice- looks like I'll be going with signatures :)

I'd love to have waited for a possible black Friday sale, but with how much we are diving, it would quickly pay for itself not renting regs, so I'll probably just bite the bullet in the next week.

Good luck with your purchases.

Regardless of the brand, I know of no one who has ever regretted pursuing the DIY path -- especially after the crap overhauls, that seem far more commonplace than ever, at local dive shops . . .

Looks like self service is the way to go - my wife is positively beaming about buying the tools- right now we're going through the list @rob.mwpropane listed on his write up of the class.

And compared to some of the big name brands, the deep6 regs are still a bargain. I love mine. I've had them deep and shallow; they breathe like champs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom