Question First Regs to self service- Deep 6 vs. HOG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrewey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are in the market for our first regs (used or new) and are interested in eventually taking the self service course so we can service our regs. Right now we're looking at the Hog D1/classic vs. D3/Zenith, but keep I keep opening the tab for the Deep 6 Signature...

From what I've read, both Hog/Deep 6 will breath similarly when properly tuned and both companies seem pretty devoted to supporting self- service. Therefore, I was leaning towards the Hog (D1/classic vs. D3/zenith) for cost, unless there seems to be a compelling reason to splurge at this point on the deep 6. The current price differential is about $250-300/set between the Deep 6 signature and the D3/zenith.

Well, for starters the 1st service is included with the purchase of D6. D6 will deal direct with you whereas HOG will want to deal with a distributor of their regs, not you the end customer.

If you're looking to service your own regs it's fun and rewarding. D6 or HOG class will basically be the same (you'll be able to service either or after either class).

The D3 has a better swivel turret (vs the D1) but really only makes sense if you're thinking of sidemount in the future. (D6 has this already). So if you're not doing sidemount or setting up deco / stage tanks you can stick to the D1 (single or back mount doubles).

The Zenith is just a fancy Classic, same internals.

I personally own D6, love them and their service. The rise in cost over the last year has definitely slowed me down from buying anymore regs though. It's a tough market right now.. if money were no object D6 all the way, but if it is, then HOG won't let you down. They'll both breathe the same.

D6 used to have black friday sales.. the last year or 2 it hasn't been that great, but who knows. Maybe they'll pick it up again this year. Used to be 25% off... thems were the good ole days.

Edit: should give credit where credit is due. I learned everything I know about the differences from Mr. @Jim Lapenta (who wrote the manuals for both HOG and D6).

I would check out how much the kits are going to cost you. DRIS has the Hog first stage kits for $40/each and second stage kits for $20/each. You're still looking at almost $100 to self service your Hog regs. Deep 6 has included kits at no charge with new regs and they've been very reasonable when needing to purchase kits, often throwing them in for little or no cost.

My wife and I are in the market for our first regs (used or new) and are interested in eventually taking the self service course so we can service our regs. Right now we're looking at the Hog D1/classic vs. D3/Zenith, but keep I keep opening the tab for the Deep 6 Signature...

From what I've read, both Hog/Deep 6 will breath similarly when properly tuned and both companies seem pretty devoted to supporting self- service. Therefore, I was leaning towards the Hog (D1/classic vs. D3/zenith) for cost, unless there seems to be a compelling reason to splurge at this point on the deep 6. The current price differential is about $250-300/set between the Deep 6 signature and the D3/zenith.
long term thinking, if you take the service course, you essentially get free parts for life with the Deep6. HOG does not do that, so if you're committed to self service then the Deep6 regs are going to be the best bank for your buck.

Disclaimer, I did type this message from the couch at Deep6 Headquarters, but that opinion stands regardless of where I happen to be sitting and I don't have any formal relationship with them.

Just a quick note, if you end up taking the Deep 6 service class and have our regs, your service kits are free every 2 years (service interval- just pay shipping)

Best,

Chris

I didn't want to mention the free kits in case that didn't still stand (because of all the crap going on in the world and increase in costs everywhere). If that stands then you will for sure at some point match the ROI on the D6 regs..

As I said, I love mine. D6 has been nothing but stellar to me even when something is my fault during a rebuild. Can not say enough good things about them. Call @LandonL, I would put $ on it that when it's all said and done he'll have a set on the way and options lined up to take the class.

This is incorrect, both the D1 and the D3 have swivel turrets. The D2 is fixed....

I stand corrected. I know the D1 doesn't swivel like the D3 does with hoses... correct?
Edit: fixed to say "better"

I didn't want to mention the free kits in case that didn't still stand (because of all the crap going on in the world and increase in costs everywhere). If that stands then you will for sure at some point match the ROI on the D6 regs..

As I said, I love mine. D6 has been nothing but stellar to me even when something is my fault during a rebuild. Can not say enough good things about them. Call @LandonL, I would put $ on it that when it's all said and done he'll have a set on the way and options lined up to take the class.

I stand corrected. I know the D1 doesn't swivel like the D3 does with hoses... correct?
Edit: fixed to say "better"

He's still sleeping at the hotel, and snores like a freight train..... so call him in the afternoon, and we were just discussing class options

D3:
1648038106171.png

D1:
1648038157787.png

The D1 is not a "free turning" as the D3 as the hoses can contact with the DIN Wheel

He's still sleeping at the hotel, and snores like a freight train.....
Were you big spoon or little spoon?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom