HOG Reg Serviceability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a HOG user and dealer, and I teach the service clinic... it really is not that hard and although the OP may not be comfortable with the idea of doing it for themselves, it is a godsend to be able to make a simple adjustment or do a simple fix when away on vacation... Oh, and I am based in Ontario... which at the moment is a block of ice. WINTER IS REFUSING TO LOOK AT THE CALENDAR.

where about in Ontario?

we've just bought the D3 a while ago, used them in two trips already and love them :D
just out of curiosity what is the normal intermediate pressure?

where about in Ontario?

we've just bought the D3 a while ago, used them in two trips already and love them :D
just out of curiosity what is the normal intermediate pressure?

I have a home in Muskoka but spend way too little time there.

What conditions do you dive in normally. The optimal intermediate pressure will vary a little accordingly.

What conditions do you dive in normally. The optimal intermediate pressure will vary a little accordingly.

well 99% of the time balmy Caribbean temps 80-84F, last trip was in Cabo San Lucas 71-74F, not sure i want that cold again lol except for a trip out to Tobermorry this summer

Sure you can, didn't you see Scarface?

Yeah, I remember that "fall" the Columbian took from that motel room; not quite
the same as falling with a pair of snow skiis--the landing looked much harder :)

I understand that at least some of the HOG regs are quite similar to Apeks models, and Apeks is fairly widespread. But honestly, if I had a regulator malfunction that couldn't be managed by replacing a hose or a simple O-ring, I'd probably just rent a reg for the rest of that triple. In 8 years and a LOT of trips, I haven't had to do that yet.

hate you.:coffee:... (I road trip at least 2x a year to APP for a backwoods "de-stress" with a 4 hour drive each way, and a border crossing to boot)

low end of the range for IP here in the "always cold" waters of the Great Lakes.......

I wouldn't want any of the staff at most of the dive destination dive centers touch any of my equipment let alone "fix" a problem with it (I NEVER had an issue with my regulator while on a dive trip away from home at all). Why would I want to carry tools, parts, manual, diagrams while traveling when I can just carry a backup regulator just in the remote chance the main regulator fails? I have a spare regulator I carry with me whenever I am going diving and have to stay overnight at the dive destination (never had to use it however).

I invested in high end brand name regulators with sealed FS and a SS that has features to reduce the potential for failure and I never had a problem at all. I send in my regulators for service every 2 - 4 years and make sure to test them before I leave the LDS and before I go on a dive trip that is more than one day of diving.

I wouldn't want any of the staff at most of the dive destination dive centers touch any of my equipment let alone "fix" a problem with it (I NEVER had an issue with my regulator while on a dive trip away from home at all). Why would I want to carry tools, parts, manual, diagrams while traveling when I can just carry a backup regulator just in the remote chance the main regulator fails? I have a spare regulator I carry with me whenever I am going diving and have to stay overnight at the dive destination (never had to use it however).

I invested in high end brand name regulators with sealed FS and a SS that has features to reduce the potential for failure and I never had a problem at all. I send in my regulators for service every 2 - 4 years and make sure to test them before I leave the LDS and before I go on a dive trip that is more than one day of diving.

I like you basically carry almost 2 complete sets of gear in case of breakdown and never needed to use it. People are kidding themselves it they think they can repair a regulator on a rocking boat just before a dive.

I would suggest bringing a wrench. pliers, hex key, pic, and some o-rings just in the remote chance you need to swap stages. The only other thing is often times high-end regulators are more complicated and are more apt to have problems.

I like you basically carry almost 2 complete sets of gear in case of breakdown and never needed to use it. People are kidding themselves it they think they can repair a regulator on a rocking boat just before a dive.

I would suggest bringing a wrench. pliers, hex key, pic, and some o-rings just in the remote chance you need to swap stages. The only other thing is often times high-end regulators are more complicated and are more apt to have problems.

I usually have 3 computers and 2 regulators with me when I travel. I also carry some tools for the purpose you mention.

The only high end regulators that are problematic are of a certain brand I don't use. I have used Atomic, SP, AL and never had issues.

I have 2 HOG D3 1st stages and HOG does not have service kits available. After contacting them I was told to wait a few months for fixing my regs. After paying a lot of money they wanted for me to halt my busy diving season and eventually Chris Richardson from HOG was rude and unprofessional. Be careful before purchasing HOG stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom