HOG BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm yet to see a carbon plate that isn't pulled from a mold modeled off a traditional backplate. They may be slightly lighter by being carbon, but they aren't any different dimensionally, so are equally as bulky.

I think he meant not being bulky like a jacket BC.

I'm yet to see a carbon plate that isn't pulled from a mold modeled off a traditional backplate. They may be slightly lighter by being carbon, but they aren't any different dimensionally, so are equally as bulky.

I should have been more clear, but I was referring to ditching all the padding.

Carbon plate, 20lbs wing, with no bulky padding.

upload_2020-3-6_7-30-2.jpeg

this guy uses the TBC setup - He did something I kind-of like- he has it all rigged up with the soft plate, but when he's not traveling, he removes the padding part and attaches the plate/tank adapter right to the soft plate (Doesn't re-do his harness).
This seems like a good way to adjust weight for normal boat diving, and then convert for shore diving w/out having to re-do the harness.

If you like the HOG brand, consider a plain backplate-and-wing (BP/W) configuration, without all the padding, such as this combination:

Hog Stainless Steel Backplate

Hog Hogarthian Harness Basic

Hog 23lb 360 Wing

I can't speak for others' experiences--though many here on SB seem to prefer avoiding unnecessary padding--but I had a Zeagle Express with shoulder and back pads, and after a while I removed the shoulder pads, then a little later removed the back pad, as I realized it wasn't really adding to comfort as much as I would have thought. Underwater, especially if you're wearing a wetsuit, the padding doesn't add comfort--it's only on land that it cushions your shoulders and back. The only reason I can see padding being helpful is for shore diving, where it might make a long walk from the gear-up area to the water more comfortable.

I have this setup. Been using it for 10 years with no issues. Have replaced the inflator valve once. That's it.

If you get the soft plate, you have to use the adjustable straps - a single piece of webbing doesn't work.

I was diving the TBCS before I became a HOG dealer. I've used the soft plate, but I prefer the SS plate.

I use the adjustable straps because they are easier for me to maneuver at the surface - insert complaints about rotator cuff here - but my OW students all get single piece webbing and a SS plate.

You really can't go wrong.

Has anyone used this HOG bp/w?
Been trying to find out how it is and theres not much reviews or information about it. would appreciate anybodys input on it.
My wife bought the HOG TBCS this year. She ordered it with the stainless backplate and the 23 lb. wing. She really likes it comfort wise and her trim in the water is now perfect. In ocean water with rash guard and using an aluminum 80 she only adds 2lbs. of weight and is perfectly weighted at the safety stop when the tank is at its lightest. The HOG bcd is very good quality and you can add or remove components of it to suit your needs.
As far as travel goes if you check a bag the weight of a backplate is inconsequential as long as the bag is 50 lbs. or under. We have never had a problem with 2 sets of gear and stainless backplates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom