HOG BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattspiral8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone used this HOG bp/w?
Been trying to find out how it is and theres not much reviews or information about it. would appreciate anybodys input on it.

Attachments

• EBA6F199-7770-4E31-8966-9ED8FE5B56D3.jpeg
    EBA6F199-7770-4E31-8966-9ED8FE5B56D3.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 147
I have not used that particular set-up. But the extra padding is going to increase the amount of lead you have to carry.

DW

Is this for local diving or travel? Or both?

Judging by your logged dives, I am assuming single tank, wetsuit diving.

You might take a look at the BP/W packages at Dive Gear Express.

DW

Not quite a bp/w with a soft travel pack instead of a backplate.
True. Makes it not much different from any other bp/w set up. Realistically, there aren't huge differences between a lot of them.

I have the HOG TBCS 32# wing softpack. It is very well made, and extremely comfortable in and out of the water. I bought it to replace a Zeagle Covert, which is also a great travel bc and does weigh less than the HOG. By comparison, I surprisingly, I found the buoyancy to be very similar despite the HOG shoulder, waist, and back padding looking like it should make the bc much more buoyant. Both were about 2.5-3# positively buoyant in fresh water. The HOG is heavier, but that is expected because the shoulder, and waist straps are far more substantial, the D rings and waist buckle are metal instead of plastic, and it has a lot more D rings and attachment points. Because of the donut shaped bladder on the HOG, I found my trim to be better, with less weight needed on the cam bands to keep my feet from dropping below the lateral plane. Total lead weight required for neutral buoyancy was nearly identical. I tried the HOG softpack with and without the addition of a SS STA, and liked the stability of the tank better without the STA. Tank stability was far superior than on my Covert and is important to me for the type of local volunteer diving I do. Of course, you can get the HOG with a SS or Aluminum bp instead of the softpack if that is your preference, and likely would have chosen that option if I did not require air travel for most of my salt water diving. I hope this short review is helpful.

I bought that BC and I have only dove it twice. I really like it and it seems to be very well made. Here is a pic of it. I have the 60 lb wing and I have it loaded with pockets.I put a Scubapro secondary air/ power inflator on it.
IMG_1568.JPG

If you like the HOG brand, consider a plain backplate-and-wing (BP/W) configuration, without all the padding, such as this combination:

Hog Stainless Steel Backplate

Hog Hogarthian Harness Basic

Hog 23lb 360 Wing

I can't speak for others' experiences--though many here on SB seem to prefer avoiding unnecessary padding--but I had a Zeagle Express with shoulder and back pads, and after a while I removed the shoulder pads, then a little later removed the back pad, as I realized it wasn't really adding to comfort as much as I would have thought. Underwater, especially if you're wearing a wetsuit, the padding doesn't add comfort--it's only on land that it cushions your shoulders and back. The only reason I can see padding being helpful is for shore diving, where it might make a long walk from the gear-up area to the water more comfortable.

I have the HOG TBCS 32# wing softpack. It is very well made, and extremely comfortable in and out of the water. I bought it to replace a Zeagle Covert, which is also a great travel bc and does weigh less than the HOG. By comparison, I surprisingly, I found the buoyancy to be very similar despite the HOG shoulder, waist, and back padding looking like it should make the bc much more buoyant. Both were about 2.5-3# positively buoyant in fresh water. The HOG is heavier, but that is expected because the shoulder, and waist straps are far more substantial, the D rings and waist buckle are metal instead of plastic, and it has a lot more D rings and attachment points. Because of the donut shaped bladder on the HOG, I found my trim to be better, with less weight needed on the cam bands to keep my feet from dropping below the lateral plane. Total lead weight required for neutral buoyancy was nearly identical. I tried the HOG softpack with and without the addition of a SS STA, and liked the stability of the tank better without the STA. Tank stability was far superior than on my Covert and is important to me for the type of local volunteer diving I do. Of course, you can get the HOG with a SS or Aluminum bp instead of the softpack if that is your preference, and likely would have chosen that option if I did not require air travel for most of my salt water diving. I hope this short review is helpful.

how easy is it to pack? Most of my dives will most likely be from travel. Would love to get it with the aliminum plate but not sure if ease of packing will be an issue if i get that instrad of the soft plate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom