HMS Repulse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am the same, going there mid June. Also can't wait, love wrecks with history as it means so much more to dive them and feel the history as you dive.

I am the same, going there mid June. Also can't wait, love wrecks with history as it means so much more to dive them and feel the history as you dive.
Exactly! The allure and fun of wreck diving is not just merely researching the epic history for academic sake, but actually diving down yourself and vicariously reliving the history as you would imagine how it might've actually happened. . .:)

As dive-able WWII ships-of-war sunk-in-action, in my honest opinion. HMS Repulse & HMS Prince of Wales are the most historically significant wrecks that can be visited:
The Prince of Wales and Repulse were the first capital ships actively defending themselves to be sunk solely by naval air power alone while steaming in the open sea. Both of them were relatively fast ships compared to the slower US battleships that were caught at anchor at Pearl Harbor. Strategically, this was the end of the battleship as the leading primary capital ship, its replacement beginning with the rise of US naval airpower in WWII was the Aircraft Carrier, which continues to this day.

Symbolically, these infamous sinkings --one of the most humiliating defeats in Royal Naval History- represented the beginning collapse of the British Empire & imperial power in Asia, all but complete by the 1960's. . .

Another good one is IJN Haguro. Sunk at the last sea battle of WWII as well as actively involved in Battle of Java Sea with the sinking of HMS Exeter and HMS Encounter.
The wreck is standing up-right, a rarity for a warship wreck, at 60m to the deck.

Another good one is IJN Haguro. Sunk at the last sea battle of WWII as well as actively involved in Battle of Java Sea with the sinking of HMS Exeter and HMS Encounter.
The wreck is standing up-right, a rarity for a warship wreck, at 60m to the deck.

Whats the location and how to get there. We are diving other wrecks in the area so perhaps we do that too

Given the OP's location, Tech ASia in the Philippines might be a good option, they run regular trips to both Repulse and POW:

Dive Expeditions | HMS Hermes | Java Sea | Truk | South China Sea | Tech Asia

Unfortunately, the Tech Asia guys aren't doing South China Seas trips right now. I spent some time with Sam diving the USS Houston and the HMAS Perth in August, and he confirmed what Ralph had told me earlier: they used to dive the South China Sea wrecks with Vidar, but now that Vidar's more or less retired, Tech Asia hasn't yet selected another liveaboard to charter.

The Tech Thailand folks dive the South China Sea wrecks when they sail the MV Giamani around the peninsula to and from the Andaman Sea, TechThailand - Technical Diving Thailand | Trimix CCR Dive, Wreck Training and the Friendly Waters folks in Singapore also go there on MV The Ark, The Ark Home From Tioman Island, B&J dive center goes there for day trips and can arrange safaris, Scuba Diving in Malaysia on Tioman Island with B&J Diving Centre in Salang and in ABC - PADI, IANTD and DAN courses, Technical Diving and there's another boat that sails out of Singapore, the MV Mata Ikan, which also goes there, The Boat - MV Mata Ikan

But dive centers and liveaboard managers etc. seem hesitant to tell me much in writing, perhaps for the reasons Kevrumbo mentioned. Even though I think most divers are respectful of the deceased and are considerate of the sensitivities of survivors and kin, nobody wants to get a bunch of hate mail in their inbox from someone who might misconstrue or misunderstand something they read. That's part of why I said I'm receptive to PMs.

Cheers,
M

Last edited:
Let me answer your air question: I went on the Repulse on trimix. My buddy on air. One of the cool parts of the wreck is the aircraft hanger. There are interesting stacks of parts in there and it is strewn with interesting debris and some ordinance to look at. My buddy saw an aircraft in the hanger -- there was none, only aircraft parts. Does that answer your air question? The visibility is good on the wreck, lots of ambient light. The deck is interesting. Notice how the guns near the torpedo hole are pointed at the aircraft that sank it. This is one of my favorite dives. Enjoy.
Jerry

Let me answer your air question: I went on the Repulse on trimix. My buddy on air. One of the cool parts of the wreck is the aircraft hanger. There are interesting stacks of parts in there and it is strewn with interesting debris and some ordinance to look at. My buddy saw an aircraft in the hanger -- there was none, only aircraft parts.

Wow, you shouldn't have told me that story: now I really want to dive it on air . . . air and a few grams of psychedelic mushrooms, too!

---------- Post added March 27th, 2014 at 12:43 AM ----------

Wow, you shouldn't have told me that story: now I really want to dive it on air . . . air and a few grams of psychedelic mushrooms, too!

No, on second thought, I think I'll dive it on trimix.

Thanks for the info!

Whats the location and how to get there. We are diving other wrecks in the area so perhaps we do that too
It is on the other side of the Peninsular and near Penang.
HMS Exeter and IJN Haguro were both located by Vidar etc about 10yrs ago. You probably have to enquire around for Haguro. Jamie in Thailand might be able to help!
Another big wreck around there is Passenger Liner Sun Vista resting on its port side at 48m(to the starboard side).

It is on the other side of the Peninsular and near Penang.
HMS Exeter and IJN Haguro were both located by Vidar etc about 10yrs ago. You probably have to enquire around for Haguro. Jamie in Thailand might be able to help!
Another big wreck around there is Passenger Liner Sun Vista resting on its port side at 48m(to the starboard side).

I knew Jamie briefly when I lived in Thailand, although I can't say I knew him well. He is no longer with Tech Thailand, but I believe that he gave his black book of numbers to the guys who own Tech Thailand now.

Back
Top Bottom