HMS Repulse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makhno

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm trying to fit a trip to the HMS Repulse and HMS Prince of Wales into my schedule and I hope some of you can offer some advice.

First: backgas. I will dive trimix for the POW but am considering using air for any Repulse dives which don't include penetrations. What are the conditions generally like on the Repulse in the early summer? Is the water clear, or is it likely to be murky and dark down there? Are there usually strong currents or not? I do much better handling narcosis in clear water with mild currents than in dark, murky water or in strong currents.

Second, what are some of the highlights of the Repulse? I am respectful of war graves but I don't think that respect requires me to forgo penetration into the wreck (and I am not subject to any UK laws on the subject). So, please suggest some of the better points of interest, both inside and outside of the wreck, if you can.

Third, am I correct in assuming that if there are only 5 or 6 diving days, we should only do a couple of dives on the Prince of Wales (because it's so deep, lies upside-down in the sand, etc.) and should spend most of the charter on the Repulse instead?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions. Private messages are fine if you prefer to reply that way.

I would suggest contacting Mark Powell in the UK since he has organized several trips to both over the past few years: and will be able to supply you with real information on the wrecks, conditions, and logistics rather than guesses.

1. If you are using MV Empress then Vidar can answer all your questions on any wrecks around the peninsular Malaysia. Unfortunately he might have retired by now. Check him out.
2. Couple of the forward turret 12" guns are still visible on Repulse.
3. The prop of PoW and the huge torpedo ripped open hole(starboard) just beneath it. You can swim under it around mid-ship.
4. A scooter will save you a lot of un-necessary swim!!!!
5. Have fun. But do remember the nearest port is miles away.

Thanks for the replies, Doppler and Centrals.

Centrals, yes, unfortunately several knowledgeable sources have told me that Vidar has retired, or he has sort of retired . . . or well, maybe he hasn't really retired completely but nowadays the MV Empress is only available to his friends and acquaintances and others who are invited aboard through word-of-mouth. Too bad, because by all accounts he is quite a character and I would like to meet him.

The wreck diving scene in SE Asia won't be the same without the beloved MV Empress and Vidar!
My desire to dive HMS Exeter has probably gone forever!! Never mind.

If you are reading this, Vidar:
Enjoy the gin and tonic! Cheer!

1. If you are using MV Empress then Vidar can answer all your questions on any wrecks around the peninsular Malaysia. Unfortunately he might have retired by now. Check him out.
2. Couple of the forward turret 12" guns are still visible on Repulse.
3. The prop of PoW and the huge torpedo ripped open hole(starboard) just beneath it. You can swim under it around mid-ship.
4. A scooter will save you a lot of un-necessary swim!!!!
5. Have fun. But do remember the nearest port is miles away.

The main battery of the HMS Repulse consisted of three turrets. They were each armed with two 15" guns. Fifteen inch guns were pretty standard main armament for Royal Navy battleships and battle cruisers in WWII. The HMS Repulse did not have any 12" guns.

The main battery of the HMS Repulse consisted of three turrets. They were each armed with two 15" guns. Fifteen inch guns were pretty standard main armament for Royal Navy battleships and battle cruisers in WWII. The HMS Repulse did not have any 12" guns.

Thank you for pointing out the mistake.

Used Scooter with 21/35 and 18/45 trimix in 11L twins with 50% & 100% O2 in 5.5L deco bottles, respectively for dives on the historic Battlecruiser HMS Repulse & Battleship Prince of Wales, on a week long charter on M/V Empress with Captain Vidar way back in April/May 2006.

Murky at depth 51m (Repulse), 63m (PoW) -- with ripping current while hanging onto the anchor line during deco. Do not plan for drifting deco -stay on the anchor line! --or you will be swept into the shipping lanes leading to one of the world's biggest commercial container ship ports (Singapore).

And whatever you do on the battleship wrecks, never admit or post anything online about 'penetration' -or else you may be subject to harassment by various ultra-national British Veteran's Groups (see link: http://www.direxplorers.com/general-diving-forum/4457-hms-repulse-controversy-strikes-again.html). . .

Last edited:
And don't mention the Bell(Repulse)!!!!!

Thanks for the responses, y'all.

I'm really looking forward to these dives. The Repulse and the POW are two of the reasons I got into technical diving, so finally diving them will be like a dream come true. I can hardly wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom