Info History of PADI's Enriched Air Nitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If PADI had decided NOT to provide a Nitrox cert, do you think we'd have it so available and often free the way we do now?

Yes, I do. Somebody else would have filled the void and ran with it. Dive operators saw the benefit of Nitrox to their operations and screamed at PADI. If PADI didn't wake up then, the operators would have changed agencies and PADI would have lost the market. PADI has NO credit in this department at all.

Yes, I do. Somebody else would have filled the void and ran with it. Dive operators saw the benefit of Nitrox to their operations and screamed at PADI. If PADI didn't wake up then, the operators would have changed agencies and PADI would have lost the market. PADI has NO credit in this department at all.
Whatever. Write your own history instead of criticizing mine.....which was clearly labeled only as items from the Training Bulletin, not a comprehensive treatise on how it all came about or any politics.

Whatever. Write your own history instead of criticizing mine.....which was clearly labeled only as items from the Training Bulletin, not a comprehensive treatise on how it all came about or any politics.

So we are to accept everything you write without any questioning or expansion and within the mold you set up?

Why don't you just write your OP and close comments and feel happy and satisfied?

This comment is not specific to PADI, but the industry as a whole: crazy that nitrox is not now included in either OW or at least AOW. Very little of real substance to the very thin course book -- more padded than a freshman term paper. Learn about MODs and if you exceed you might die, and learn how to analyze a tank and set your computer (or use tables) for the right percentage.

It's Info. Take it or leave it. Entirely factual.
If you want to add to it rather than criticize, go right ahead. Just make sure you can back up your "facts" and don't rely on hearsay. You may find, for example, that Skin Diver Magazine was probably the source for the term Devil's Gas, not PADI.

[as major ski areas ‘banned’ Snowboards into the late 1980’s, the US Ski Assn (the Ski Team) refused to recognize their existence]

Money runs everything.
Like Utah found money to be had in alcohol sales. Now you no longer need to be sponsored to enter a bar. And they also have a distillery now. More money.

Like Utah found money to be had in alcohol sales. Now you no longer need to be sponsored to enter a bar. And they also have a distillery now. More money.
I guess I should have labeled this thread, "What's wrong with society today?" I apologize for being so off-topic with the thread compared to what everyone wants to talk about, i.e. money ruins everything.

I guess I should have labeled this thread, "What's wrong with society today?" I apologize for being so off-topic with the thread compared to what everyone wants to talk about, i.e. money ruins everything.
That's not quite right. In this case, money improved something.

Hi @tursiops

Thank you, I appreciate your thread. Was the ppO2 with PADI always 1.4 or did it start at 1.6?

ANDI, and IAND/IANTD both started in the 80s, do you happen to know what their ppO2 was? From Dick, "Science Always Wins Over ********." That's SB for you :)

Back
Top Bottom