History of Diver Training

Diver Training

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good lord. I just hope none of you are old enough to start talking about your recent colonoscopies. :shakehead:

Good lord. I just hope none of you are old enough to start talking about your recent colonoscopies. :shakehead:
Speaking of lowering standards ...

"Do you know who will be in charge of health care? The IRS. You thought getting audited was bad? Wait until your next prostate exam."

-- Jay Leno

Every guy I know who has had to be shaved for a medical procedure has said the same thing about their nurse. Weird huh?

Huh ... my luck ... the nurse who shaved me looked like Igor from "Young Frankenstein" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What hump?

Speaking of lowering standards ...

"Do you know who will be in charge of health care? The IRS. You thought getting audited was bad? Wait until your next prostate exam."

-- Jay Leno

I read in a very recent medical journal that the dreaded practice has been debunked as ineffective in diagnosis prostate issues. If my internist has not received the directive I am doctor shopping...:)

Last edited:
I'm sure Boulderjohn is taking notes on what I'm typing since we are thinking of heading up to his turf north of me next year for some UTD courses.

Well, if you go far enough into UTD, you will run into buddy breathing again.

On one of my last dives for my Tech 2 rating, we had a series on failures to contend with. In theory (ha! ha!), we were just heading toward the ascent line (at 100 feet) to do a staged decompression ascent as if we had done a decompression dive. We started the trip on AL 80 our stage bottles, which the instructor "killed" along the way. By the time I was at the beginning of the line, I was also put OOA, so I was sharing with my buddy. When the instructor gave me a left post failure at that point, it was interesting, since I wondered what the heck could be coming out of a left post if I was OOA, but, hey, this is training. As we went through our ascent, we were given failure after failure. We had started the dive with 8 working regulators between the two of us, but by the time we were doing the 40 foot deco stop, we were down to our AL 40 deco bottles only. At that point the instructor killed my buddy's deco bottle, so we were down to one reg between us. So we started buddy breathing.

This was the first time either of us had really done any real buddy breathing since we had done it together, ironically, many years ago during our DM training.

At that point the instructor took my mask, so I was doing it blind while trying to hold deco stops. You need to hold your right hand on your ascent line to feel the knot for the deco stop and use your left hand to vent air from the bottom of your wing (maintaining perfect horizontal trim) while you are blind and exchanging regulators via buddy breathing. Lots of fun. We did it.

After the exercise, the instructor was clear--buddy breathing is a really crappy way to deal with OOA situations, so it should take something along the lines of what we had just experienced to get us into that situation. There should be no excuse for getting into that situation.

At first they almost didn't go through with the procedure:

I had to convince them that DAN covered it, signed a waiver excepting their Spare Air as a viable life support option, and had them overlook the fact I had split fins on

Are you kidding? I have never seen a doctor who would do any surgical procedure, including vasectomy, if the patient were wearing split fins.

Ummm.

Last week too recent?

I read in a very recent medical journal that the dreaded practice has been debunked as ineffective in diagnosis postate issues. If my internist has not received the directive I am doctor shopping...:)
My (Harvard and Stanford-educated) doctor read the same article and I read the popular press distillation. So I asked her if we shouldn't reconsider the procedure. While she allowed that from a public-health standpoint colonoscopy might not be cost-effective, from the perspective of an individual who can afford the test and values his colon--two criteria I meet--it is still highly recommended. I am waiting hopefully for further evidence.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom