"hinged" or OBP fins or Splits...what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first pair of fins were quattros - and I still have and love them.

My second pair are the soft SP twin splits - and they are pretty damn good too.

Force Fins are way to expensive out here (3x Quattros) and can't believe they're any better despite the balanced and well argued opinion:rolleyes: of scubatooth.

In the local currents around the reefs here the SP reduce the work load on any single group of muscles and in my experience don't create the lactic burn sensation you get with the stiffer fins in the large muscles in the legs. As a result breathing is often alot more measured.

Diving is not supposed to be like running a marathon so I don't really ever aim for sustained heavy underwater work and in the 30 degree water here you work up way too much of a sweat with sustained effort.

The splits are definitely exceptional in these tropical waters and provide the speed spurts (with the right kick) needed and have many who swear by them. Can't speak for dry suit conditions.

However ... When I did my wreck training the maneouverability left alot to be desired and the problem with the quattros is the blade is so bloody long !!

I suspect I could be up for a third pair of fins - most likely the twin jets for the confined work - can't really see me ditching my others either.

As I do more diving I fundamentally believe you are going to adjust your gear to your circumstances and if you dive multiple environments you will probably end up with multiple sets !!!

They don't all go to waste either as my 12 year old son gets to use the pair I'm not using to experiment for himself !

Don't forget diving IS a gadget sport and the more you have the better you feel :D

Ok gang, I used my Panthers exclusively during my OW certification. I'm not impressed. I know they were never meant to give the performance that you read about from the Tigers but still, JEESH! Both already have a slight stress line about an inch and a half below the hing.

On another note, and this is just an observation, not a troll. There were 4 instructors / divemasters wearing splits this weekend at the lake during our OW certification. Believe it or not, I never saw any of them stir up a silt cloud one.

Later.

Back
Top Bottom