High School SCUBA club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am the newly appointed activites director at my local high school. I am very interested in starting some clubs that can introduce the students to life long recreational activities. They would also have a conservation/sevice component. One that I would love to start is a SCUBA/Dive club. We can get students certified and do various clean up projects and teach about aquatic life in the local area.

If anyone has done something like this before I would appreciate their input!

I am the newly appointed activites director at my local high school. I am very interested in starting some clubs that can introduce the students to life long recreational activities. They would also have a conservation/sevice component. One that I would love to start is a SCUBA/Dive club. We can get students certified and do various clean up projects and teach about aquatic life in the local area.

If anyone has done something like this before I would appreciate their input!

Terrific! Nothing like teaching teens about scuba diving and conservation! We have tried to install scuba programs here and there - the biggest hurdle were local dept. of ed. & site restrictions re: liability for minors. This factor was the biggest determinant whether we could run a program...plus local pool space. Start-up costs could also affect a program. Often needed benefactors.

Cheers and best with your idea.

X

Snake River Pirate,

You could consider contacting your local Boy Scout council to see if they have any Venturing units in your area or even look into starting a new unit. Venturing is a program for youth aged 14 to 20, is co-ed, and geared towards more high adventure type activities that are intended to appeal to older youth. Scuba, rock climbing, rapelling, caving, sailing, canoeing/kayaking, back country treks, etc are just a few examples of typical Venture crew activities. Like all scouting programs conservation and service to others are important program themes built around the elements of character development, citizenship, and physical fitness.

The nice thing about Venturing is that the program has already been designed, built, and tested so it is really fairly easy to organize a unit and start having fun and adventure.

I'm also in the process of starting a Middle/High School SCUBA club... We're starting with MS, then hopefully high school and school-sponsored summer activities. Got a lot of ideas, and about twice as many questions. Let me know if you want to hook up and share ideas.

Suggest that you check out reefrakers.org It looks like a pretty good model for what you are looking for. I have had a couple of emails with their director and he seems a real personable sort. I was impressed by what I found out about their efforts.

S.T.A.R.S. International has a proven cirriculum based upon the theme of scuba diving that is targeted to mentor at-risk teenage youth. We would love to share what we learned and employ that addresses where you want to take your program. See us at STARSInternational . org and call me at your convenice at (847) 609-4385. Kevin L. Vaughn Exec. Director

Hey man its a great Idea. I was also thinking of starting one myself but my school is rather small and not many people scuba dive even though we LIVE IN LA JOLLA..... pathetic i know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom