High Pressure Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive1Dennis

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in the market for a high pressure (3442 PSI) steel cyclinder, I'm thinking 120 cubic foot or 119 cubic foot tank size. I was set to buy a PST after I dove with a borrowed one last year. The 120 is a great cyclinder, not much bigger than an AL80 with negetive bouyancy.

Now I learned that Worthington has gotten into the high pressure steel scuba cyclinder market. They are sold through Sea Pearls. Their steel tank spec's are nearly identical to PSTs.

Does anyone have any experience with the Worthington cyclinders? Any feedback about them? A real bonus would be a comparison between PST and Worthington.

Thanks,

they are pretty much the same for all intents and purposes. techdivinglimited.com has a comparison chart covering these and other tanks. if the 120s work for you i'd stick with them. the 119s are way heavier out of the water.

As you mention the specs are very close. Some have observed a better finish on the Pressed Steel cylinders but after a few cycles in the ocean the concensus seems to that they are perfectly comparable.

pete

Dive1Dennis:
I am in the market for a high pressure (3442 PSI) steel cyclinder, I'm thinking 120 cubic foot or 119 cubic foot tank size. I was set to buy a PST after I dove with a borrowed one last year. The 120 is a great cyclinder, not much bigger than an AL80 with negetive bouyancy.

Now I learned that Worthington has gotten into the high pressure steel scuba cyclinder market. They are sold through Sea Pearls. Their steel tank spec's are nearly identical to PSTs.

Does anyone have any experience with the Worthington cyclinders? Any feedback about them? A real bonus would be a comparison between PST and Worthington.

Thanks,

I've got two single E8-130s, a set of double E8-130s and a set of double X8-119s.

No major differences noted so far.

i have both, a pst 119 and a worthington 119, i dont notice them to be any heavier then the 120 s and i can find NO difference between the two, pst or worthington, i like them both and find them both to be great tanks

Technically I believe a true HP (high pressure) tank is rated at 3,500 psi or higher. The 3,442's are rated at that level because it places them just under the high pressure designation.

after doing a few VIPs on new worthingtons and PSTs I found the fit and finish is a bit better on the pst. The galvanize dip isn't quite as nice on the worthingtons.

hoosier:
We don't need to argue about the spec....

http://www.nitroxdiver.com/Tank-Specs.htm

If we're interested in giving accurate information on the board to other divers we may need to at least correct what appear the mis-statements. After all the PST 119 and PST 120 are different anks, rated differently, etc.

Just trying to be accurate on this for those who read these posts. There is a reason the "new" 3,442 psi tanks are not listed as 3,500 psi. If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me and ensure we ARE accurate in the information we present.

I like my PST-120. One consideration, though, is that it seems difficult for some dive shops to deliver a full fill. You will virtually never get a full fill on a dive boat. That said, the 120 still holds 107 cu ft. of air at 3000 psi, quite a bit better than the AL-80. Dr. Bill is correct the 3442 psi exactly = 230 bar, and that's not 3500 psi. And of course the steel tanks are never rated "+". The PST valve comes with an insert so you can use it with a yoke type regulator that is rated to 230 bar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom