High blood pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suggest this. Buy a digital monitor at the drug store and make it your friend. Take your BP in the morning, after coffee, before you work out, after you worlk out, at night, etc. Standing, sitting, etc etc. This is the best way to get to know your body and how you respond. Some people shoot up a bit at the doctor's office. I had an old nurse who was hard of hearing always tell me I was borderline (I am not)

Anyway, get your HR into your target range for 30 minutes three time a week and watch yourself drop 10 points in about three weeks (or sooner!!!)

JB does tris, is a super athlete and his was running too high and he came way down on 2 Gm of fish oil/ day. Mg and Ca help too.

Main thing: monitor yourself to understand your pattern and to increase your awareness or if you are consistantly that high or just very reactionary. I can bump mine up and down ten points just with thoughts, biofeedback sort of manuever.
If you are fat, lose weight. Consider trans fats as death foods, don't eat any, no matter what. If you have toxic thoughts, change the pattern.

I suggest this. Buy a digital monitor at the drug store and make it your friend. Take your BP in the morning, after coffee, before you work out, after you worlk out, at night, etc. Standing, sitting, etc etc. This is the best way to get to know your body and how you respond. Some people shoot up a bit at the doctor's office. I had an old nurse who was hard of hearing always tell me I was borderline (I am not)

Anyway, get your HR into your target range for 30 minutes three time a week and watch yourself drop 10 points in about three weeks (or sooner!!!)

JB does tris, is a super athlete and his was running too high and he came way down on 2 Gm of fish oil/ day. Mg and Ca help too.

Main thing: monitor yourself to understand your pattern and to increase your awareness or if you are consistantly that high or just very reactionary. I can bump mine up and down ten points just with thoughts, biofeedback sort of manuever.
If you are fat, lose weight. Consider trans fats as death foods, don't eat any, no matter what. If you have toxic thoughts, change the pattern.

That's a great post Catherine.

That we can all go up and down in a "reactionary" way is exactly the point I was making, but you did it far better than me. :D

I was told mine was on the high side a long time back so I got a monitor and discovered the truth. It's a great idea. I hate to imagine a fit 21 year old walking around thinking there's something wrong with him because he was a bit stressed in the doctor's surgery. Living in the UK my BP wasn't ever measured until I was about 30.

Thanks for the supplement tips too.

Last edited:
I also have high blood pressure; when I was 10 it was measured at 140/80. Had many of the workups, no cause was identified. I have been on meds since probably 1977. My MDs all know that I dive.

Recently I lost some more weight - total of about 30-35 pounds - and began bicycling more. On my last few dive trips, my gas consumption was better, I was less tired after the dive, had better finning while diving. Last trip I made a 20 minute surface swim back to the boat against current without difficulty.

Watch your diet, keep your weight down, restrict sodium intake, exercise regularly, and destress if possible. These work for me.

Good Luck!

One more thing about measuring bp. Be sure to have an empty bladder when checking. The first thing a nurse does when you go into examination room is check your b/p, right? Then many guys think they have to hold their urine for a text. A full bladder can give a wrong reading
Just something I've learned.
Robert

Speaking from experience you have to have your BP under control. I believe mine was not for a couple of years even though the doc said it was fine. What would happen is I would be diving and get out of breath. I blamed it:shocked2: on my hyper-stretch wet suit clinging too tight to me. But one day, on the second dive, it was all I could do to make it to shore. I called DAN and they said it was most likely the BP which is aggravated by submersion and cold temps. All is better now since I've been working with a doc to get things under control and get back on the workout bus. Just don't take it lightly. I had the same experience 2 years ago in Central Florida while trying to get certified as a tech instructor. BP was never diagnosed but it landed me in the hospital overnight.

Full bladder, lol...I never thought about that one.

Catherine, I actually went and bought a digital monitor today. My BP has gone down from like 170/90 to about 140/80. Still high but getting better. I'm just going to keep my eye on it and stay in shape for now. My Doc wanted to see if I can get it low enough without the use of meds. My cholesterol was fine so he believes reduced salt intake and excercise will reduce my BP a good bit.

jlbdiver, was your hospitalization a result from diving?

hey, great.

I'm usually surprised how little exercise makes an impact. I like the HR monitors too, it makes me feel more of a sense of accomplishment to see my HR in the target zone, instead of just being out of breath! It is all a mind game, he he.

I even noticed if I cross one leg, I read about 10 points higher! Also....usually you hustle in to the appointment, sit down and it is the first thing they do. Well, if you have been moving and then suddenly plop down, your body (mine really does this) starts to compensate for the orthostatic change. If you sit and wait ten minutes, you will probably be lower because your HR will slow down.

Catherine, you are absolutely right! I go early to the MD for a visit and sit quietly in the waiting area. In the exam room, my BP is always high at the first reading. After a few minutes, it is lower. A phenomenon known as "white-coat syndrome".

My HR takes a long time to recede from my target rate (after exercise) to normal. When I bike ride, I wear a HR monitor instead of my usual wristwatch. Often, 20 minutes after a ride, my HR is still elevated.

This really flips out the workers when I go for a stress test!

Not directly related to diving but during a dive at The Grotto I was breathing hard. I surfaced and could not catch my breath. I came very close to blacking out, seeing stars, etc. Struggled to get to the platform and out of my doubles and dry suit. At the time all the hospital could find was fluid in my lungs and that my BP was a bit high. After a similar problem this summer (while certifying some students) I called DAN. The guy I talked to walked down the symptoms just like a check list. Uncontrolled BP and submersion in water along with the hyper stretch wet suit all added up to sky high BP. I too track my pressure with an electronic home cuff. Much better now after getting on a low dose ACE inhibitor and dropping weight. I'm going to continue the work outs and give it a try in March in St. Thomas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom