Hi from San Marcos, Texas!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys!
My name is Lizzy, I'm a new diver in Texas. I'm a student working towards my aquatic science degree. I want to work at an aquarium or with a coral/reef conservation. My goal for now is to log enough dives and increase my experience to take the Spring Lake Dive Authorization Course at the Meadows Center in San Marcos.
I'm trying to get my buddy to take a dive class so that he can eventually go diving with me but he's pretty busy. Is there anyone in the Austin/San Marcos area that would want to do a few dives with me? I have my first dive tomorrow at the Lake Travis Cleanup event and I'm pretty excited!
Let me know if you want to meet up for a dive!

Liz

Hi Liz,

First, welcome to Scubaboard and diving.

I am one of the Science Divers who volunteer at Spring Lake. Well worth the effort to get certified to dive there. For my money, I would talk with Taylor at Meadows to see what your options are. He is the dive coordinator for the lake, grad student in marine biology (I think) and a super nice human. He may surprise you.

Right now there are three active dive clubs in the area. In Austin, Toms Dive and Swim and Scubaland both have good programs. In Universal City, Duggan Dives has a club. Joining a dive club is the best way I know of to practice your skills and find new dive buddies.

Welcome to the forum. Can't help you with your immediate concerns. When you're more seasoned, you might want to consider a trip aboard the M/V Fling out of Freeport, TX. A quick online search suggests it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive for you. A short live-aboard trip to find diving without paying airfare, and a drive that's not too grueling I hope.

Undercurrent has a trip report on it as part of their free content. Trips are subject to cancellation based on weather. If you don't have to book airfare, I'm thinking you could maybe get a spot closer to departure time and minimize risk. It's my understanding that's particularly an issue during winter; I asked someone who'd worked that boat before about when to go with the best odds, and was told July 15 - Sept. 15. Of course, I was also wanting warm water...

Richard.

+1 for Duggan Diving, also give Paul, Canyon Lake Divers, a call. Between those two dive shops, you can do all the diving your schedule permits, and they are good people.

Hey guys!
My name is Lizzy, I'm a new diver in Texas. I'm a student working towards my aquatic science degree. I want to work at an aquarium or with a coral/reef conservation. My goal for now is to log enough dives and increase my experience to take the Spring Lake Dive Authorization Course at the Meadows Center in San Marcos.
I'm trying to get my buddy to take a dive class so that he can eventually go diving with me but he's pretty busy. Is there anyone in the Austin/San Marcos area that would want to do a few dives with me? I have my first dive tomorrow at the Lake Travis Cleanup event and I'm pretty excited!
Let me know if you want to meet up for a dive!

Liz
Hi Lizzy. I am a new diver from Austin. Nice to see another local newbie on here.

Hi Lizzy. I am a new diver from Austin. Nice to see another local newbie on here.
11 Dripping Springs been diving since 2001 I love doing cleanups and just getting in the water hit me up anytime

Welcome to SB. As for finding buddies, you could post on the Texas subforum under U.S.

Welcome to SB. Great forum. Don't be afraid to speak up.

Howdy and welcome from south Florida......

Back
Top Bottom