HI From PENSACOLA (FL)!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveCop71

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Just wanted to say hello to all of you out there, and wish you all the best of luck to wherever your journeys may lead you.

Ahoy there DiveCop71, Welcome aboard! Love the avatar :D

As a police officer, you may be interested in the Public Safety Divers forum under The Art of Scuba Diving.

Being in Florida, you may want to check out the Florida Conch Divers in the ScubaBoard Clubs section. We've always got dives going on somewhere, be it in the springs, Atlantic, Keys, or Gulf of Mexico. We also try to do gatherings at different places around the state so people from all over get the opportunity to dive with other ScubaBoard divers. :)

We look forward to diving with you somewhere soon! :D

I'm in Pensacola Beach for the July 4 week Dive Cop 71. I would like toknow where I might find a dive or two or therr while here. Will probably dive with MBTDIVERS Tuesday evening. Thanks in advance for any info

Hope this is a timely enugh reply...

Most visitors find that Diving Pensacola contains 3 things - Jelly Fish, Stong Currents (near the bay entrance), and High Silt Content (mostly within the Bay).
There are a multitude of shipwrecks and man-made obstr.'s that are all fairly close to shore (within 10 nautical miles or so); including tanks, automobiles, and a few WWII era aircraft.
If you should decide to dive near the bay entrance; be aware that during peak tidal changes strong currents create a virtual vortex of what I like to call sea-slush - a mixture of fine seaweed particles mixed with a dsh of jellyfish that creates a fine haze throughout the water so be sure to wear at least a full glideskin wetsuit w/hood.
Depending on your depth prefferences: I would recommend the USS Mass. (17ft.) for shallow water; The Three Barges or the Liberty Shipwreck(48ft. to 75ft. rsp.) for midian depth, or
Five Army Tanks (at 105ft.) for for the deeper inclinded.
My personal thoughts as a rescue diver and law enforcement officer are that, generally, the deeper you go - the shorter the dive and the greater the risk.
In my experience, When properlly equiped, Pensacola's waters have allways been enjoyable and rewarding. I hope that during your visit you find it same.

As an interesting side note : History has recorded that there are over 220
shipwrecks containing an est. $110,000,000.00 in various cargo within the Pensacola area.

Good Luck On Your Dive.
Happy 4th of July

Have Fun and Dive Safe!

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

don

to the boards... like mentioned above check out the different sub-sections often. There is usually someone planning a dive somewhere in FL and most likely within a short drive for ya'. From one brother to another, be safe out there buddy.

Wildbill:cop_2:

Wildbill:
to the boards... like mentioned above check out the different sub-sections often. There is usually someone planning a dive somewhere in FL and most likely within a short drive for ya'. From one brother to another, be safe out there buddy.

Wildbill:cop_2:

Wildbill,
Just wanted to say Thank You for your input the other day, and that it's good to meet another member of the family.

:) j=-*Boom!*>.....Hit!..> Threat...(de)Ceased. :)

(A quote from a fellow diving cop)
"Safe be my beat, be it on Sea or on Street". :wink:

Dove off Fort Pickens Tuesday evening before dark and and Wednesday at high tide. Tuesday the current from tide going out was kinda ruff. Never been diving in current before. Learned a lot from Ryan my dive buddy. We dumped all bouyance and crabbed the bottom using sand and rocks for hand holds. Aborted a nigh dive because of the current. The next day we got in 2 dives. Vis about 60 to 80 ft. Went down to just below 40 ft. on last dive. Saw lots of fish, a school of snapper, a ray, ran into some jelly fish, found a few shells and sand dollars. Had a great time, learned a lot about diving and myself. I'm going to have to get some dive gloves. Hope my pictures turn out.

MBT Divers has a great dive shop in Pensacola, FL with a great bunch of guys running it.

fmw625,
Thank You for your return post.
Good to know your dive went well, and that MBT helped to make it both fun and enjoyable.

Definately get yourself a set of gloves. Especially, if you expect to find yourself diving in current on the bottom.

(A gentle reminder: a diver should Never directly claw at (or crawl along) the seafloor (especially bare-handed) because there are numerous things that often hide just below the surface; any number of which can, and often DO, cause injury to divers (Rays/sharp shells/ or coral to name a few).)

A good diving practice for current dives on the bottom is to purchase, and bring with you, either a colapsable diving staff or small Ski pole; and use it to gently anchor yourself or pull yourself along the bottom in combination with using the tips of your fins. (And in any case: wear a set of gloves:))

Keep Posting and Learning; and Good Luck On Your Future Dives!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom