Hi from Egypt - prescription mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there,

I'm from Cairo/Egypt. I dive for long time but my site is just getting worse so I decided to make a prescription mask. I tried to use contact lenses but didn't feel comfy for me. I used an old pair of glasses in my mask but they get misty constantly.

Most of the prescription mask I found I have to order it from abroad so i won't be able to try the mask. I like my technisub - Look, they sell replacement prescription glass for it, but when i went to my optician he made me this weired calculations to compensate the estygmatism.

Anyway i'll just put here my eyeglass prescription and the replacement lense my optician recommended.

This is the normal Eyeglasses prescription
Left:
Sph. -3.50
Cyl. -2.75
Axis. 180

Right:
Sph. -4.25
Cyl. -1.25
Axis. 170

IPD. 62mm

My optician told me to use the following if the replacement lense doesn't have estygmatism:

Left : -5
Right: -5.5

Thanks
Cheers
I.K.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Fins, Masks and Snorkels.

i agree with Seasaw. Prescription Dive Masks just did my mask for me and i have astigmatism too. they did a great job. once they receive your mask, they take ten business days, then they will have it on the way back to you.

If your mask is in good condition,you can just order the lenses online
This should be your mask.
Look_Maske_Technisub.jpg

Pretty standard lens,so easy to fit your self.
Due to the pretty strong Axis and cylinders,the optician is damn close.
I'll try to ask my supplier tomorrow(If I don't forget :D )

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the reply. I emailed prescriptiondivemask.com today and will be waiting for theire reply.

300Bar I'll be very grateful if you can confirm the measurement that my optician recommended.

Cheers
Issa

Ok,just got of the phone with the optician and he gave me the easy way to calculate this.
Take your cylinder and devide by 2,add sphyrical.So in your case,
Left -3.50 + 2.75/2=1.375 = 4.875 (-5)
Right - 4.25 + 1.25/2= 0.625 = 4.875 (-5) but they'll add .5 diopter to make up for the differance.

Hope it helps.

BTW this is not the optimum solution but it's close enough.

I used these folks also in the USA for my lenses, AQUATIC OPTICS. They were able to correct for my astigmatism. These lenses were not much more than buying the ones that are the diopler only.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I found a company here in Egypt that has the ready made lense for the hydro mask which will cost me 60 USD for the lense plus a new mask 25 USD so total 85 USD, but these won't be exactly my eye prescription lenses especially for my left eye as I have a high cylinder prescription "-2.75" so i don't know if I use the -5 for the total eye will it to do the job or not? will it have a negative effect on the eye?

or

I can do them with www.prescriptivedivemask.com exactly as my prescription and they can make the lenses especially for my technisub-look so I don't have a chance with a mask i'm not comfort in and it will cost me 185 USD + shipping.

I don't mind spending some money, but I'm afraid when I get the lense from the states and they're not accurate or don't fit well and water start to leak so I'm gone go thru the hassle of shipping back and forth plus the extra cost.

Can you plz guide what to do and wehat's the right decision to take?

Thanks and it's a great forum...
Issa

You'll need the -5/-5.5 according to my optician,because of the difference between you L&R eye.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom