Hey friends, help me get a little trim!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you bringing your own BC or renting? Shoulder trim pockets are on many BC's for a reason. I would find out how much you need for trim there and work from there. Sure it's non-ditchable but it should be a fraction of your total weight. I find I need measurable trim weight for the opposite reason. I use a full face mask and this throws my trim out of balance. If you are renting maybe call down and see if their BCs have trim pockets and plan accordingly?

I use the xs scuba shoulder pockets that attach by velcro, so if you are renting you can easily attach and remove them. I put 1/3 of my total weight high on the shoulders and I'm good to go. Only issue is hard weights chew them up, so I occasionally travel with 2 x 2# soft weights if the ops I'm diving with use hard weights.

Personally I would probably go for a couple of light weights zip tied to the shoulders of the BCD or tank band if needed to even your trim out. Easy to fit and easy to remove.

My favorite warm water fins are my Mako Competition Freediver fins. They're only $90.

Competition Freediver Fins | MAKO Spearguns

I haven't weighed mine, but I believe they are very close to neutral. @MAKO Spearguns might be able to give specifics on that.

They work really well for me for frog kicks, helicopter turns, and back kicks, too. And, obviously, they give loads of thrust. I don't wear them in cold water because they're not heavy enough and they won't fit over my drysuit boots. And I don't wear them when I'm planning on going inside a wreck. Otherwise, they are my preferred fin for all warm water occasions.

Shoulder weights.. I think that could work, although I don't like the idea of having more crap on my shoulders.

Here's my way too easy bungeed shoulder weight solution:

full?d=1358002837.jpg

Finished!

full?d=1358002839.jpg

Bungee done in prusik style (opposing grape knots). Different sized weights require different length bungee.

full?d=1358002838.jpg

Start by threading the loop through one slot.

full?d=1358002838.jpg

Run the loop under the strap and then through the other slot.

full?d=1442787599.jpg

Pull the clean side over the edge of the weight first. The knot will prevent the loop from slipping through the other side and makes it easier to grab the bungee to stretch it over the other side. Very clean, easy and cheap!!!​

Back
Top Bottom