HERO 10 Black: WARNING!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johndiver999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently upgraded from the Hero 8 to the brand new Hero 10. Even though I have a pretty powerful computer windows 10 PRO, 64 bit, 16 RAM. Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz there has been major problems with compatibility.

The hero 10 can shoot in 5 k, I think it is, but when I first realized there were issues, I adjusted and backed down to just 1080. Yet the problems persisted.

The 10 version writes mp4 files (as does the Hero 8), but according to the customer service rep from GoPro, the files are DIFFERENT somehow. Both mp4, but the old files work, the new ones no go.

I am unable to view the raw video files in VLC software, which used to work. I can view them with Windows media player, so that is a very minor inconvenience- no problem.

The problem arises when I try to use my Power Director 17 software which is supposed to be a decent video editor and one I have gained some proficiency with. It does NOT work. video is scrambled and audio and video are out of synch in a few moments etc.

GO Pro support says to use their cheapy quick software which seems pretty primitive to me and also unfamiliar to me. They are suggesting I need to buy other video software, adobe Premier elements which you lease at $20 or $30 a month is one suggestion. That really pisses me off. I would have NEVER done the upgrade and I had not seen similar warnings that even the low resolution videos from the new camera are different and problematic. Heaven knows what it will take to process the 4 or 5 k videos it is capable of generating.

I'm sure that people who are tech savvy can already tell my understanding of this stuff is superficial just from my terminology, but so far it has been super frustrating.

If I'm totally clueless and WRONG, PLEASE set me straight! I don't feel like buying that expensive of a video editor.

Anyway, buyer beware - the latest version of Go Pro may turn out to be very expensive.

Digging more into this, it might be that you require the HEVC codec on Windows 10. It is a 99 cent app from the Microsoft Store.

An article that sort of explains it: How to Shoot H.264 or HEVC Video with GoPro HERO10 Black

and another article that gives you a couple alternatives for the CODEC
How to Install Free HEVC Codecs on Windows 10 (for H.265 Video)

The HEVC codec does not come standard on W10 and I am pretty sure it is no provided with Davinci Resolve so you may still need the CODEC.

I haven't tested GOPRO 10 footage on my M1 Mac but I believe the MacOS supports it out of the box but that doesn't help W10 users.

Thanks, I did pay the 99 cents and downloaded it and I think it was installed. Didn't fix. I'm gonna download the davinci software.

Very much sounds like a missing codec. Are you using the latest release of VLC?

FYI, Hero 9 is the same way. We got one at work and took some footage. I could view it on the phone but no the work computer. Went home and figured I would run it through the GoPro software I have on that one (security department won't let us put GoPro software on the work computers). Several hours later and many frustrations I still could not get any of the computers to play it. Some were throwing a CODEC missing error mentioned above.

I eventually dumbed them down with some really crappy and annoying phone app that was so bad I deleted it the moment the project was done. Got me files that were playable. No idea what resolution they are, the file size shrank. Kept both sets of files on the network.

GoPro botched it for sure. Assuming that everyone will just go ahead and own the latest and greatest computing power just to play there files. WRONG! Some of us run perfectly good older computers. If GoPro doesn't want to let us play a simple should be compatible file, I'll keep my old Hero 4 at home and the Hero 5 at work still takes good usable videos.

I bought my current computer simply to handle go pro video files a few years ago. Solid state drive and supposedly good hardware etc.

The hero 8 worked great for me... I sold it (here) right after I ordered the 10 and before it even arrived.

Has anyone tried Hero 10 clips on a Mac? Apple uses the HEVC format on iPhone videos so suspect it might work unless GoPro uses a different variant of the codec.

I am considering buying the Hero 10 but if it is going to be a PIA to render using Davinci or iMovie, it would be a non-starter. I have no problem with older version GoPro clips, Sony clips or iPhone but these are 1080p @ 30 fps.

My son uses a Hero 9, sometimes I'll borrow it. I think I'll shoot 4k/30fps because anything more and the PC just can't handle it (my older PC). My other sons newer PC handles it fine.

I have ordered the GoPro 10 and expect it to arrive later this week. For processing I will be using my MacPro M1 Chip 16 GB memory Big Sur 11.6. Hoping it processes the 4K video and the 5K video ok. Anyone try that type of combination yet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom