HERO 10 Black: WARNING!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have ordered the GoPro 10 and expect it to arrive later this week. For processing I will be using my MacPro M1 Chip 16 GB memory Big Sur 11.6. Hoping it processes the 4K video and the 5K video ok. Anyone try that type of combination yet?
Waiting to hear your results.

I am using 8 GB M1 MBA as well as 16 GB W10 PC both running DaVinci Resolve. Using 4K clips in HEVC format from my iPhone, MBA and PC render and play the 4K clips with no problem. Subjectively it seems the M1 MBA renders faster and plays smoother than the PC.

What a drama post. Works fine on my 16" macbookpro. You are simply not versed in video codecs and making a big deal out of nothing.

This was always my issue with shooting video. Keeping up with the current codecs is a frustrating experience to say the least. If you have a new computer (say in the last two or so years) it's not an issue, but with older machines it can be daunting if not impossible to play higher end files.

The 10 version writes mp4 files (as does the Hero 8), but according to the customer service rep from GoPro, the files are DIFFERENT somehow. Both mp4, but the old files work, the new ones no go.

Did they say how the files are different? It's probably worth getting a more technical answer from them so you can figure out which codec your computer is missing.

Noting that the people who use Mac computers aren't having issues.

Change the setting on you GoPro so that is uses H.264 instead of HEVC. It won't support the highest resolutions, but will largely mimic your 8 or 9 file types and will work on your computer just like your old GoPro did.

HEVC is generally not an OS issue, it is a chip issue. Older chips simply don't/can't support HEVC no matter the other specs or OS.

This was always my issue with shooting video. Keeping up with the current codecs is a frustrating experience to say the least. If you have a new computer (say in the last two or so years) it's not an issue, but with older machines it can be daunting if not impossible to play higher end files.
My work laptop is maybe 6 months old. Doesn't support the new GoPro files. So not just a new vs. old machine issue.

My work laptop is maybe 6 months old. Doesn't support the new GoPro files. So not just a new vs. old machine issue.

It supports it if you get proper software. It might not be a turn key solution. Get ffmpeg and learn command line. Not saying it is the most user friendly solution but it is most complete.

It supports it if you get proper software. It might not be a turn key solution. Get ffmpeg and learn command line. Not saying it is the most user friendly solution but it is most complete.
Funny how GoPro don't mention this grief in their slick advertising and promotion videos :)

Funny how GoPro don't mention this grief in their slick advertising and promotion videos :)

Not really their fault. They are using a technology that is prime for its use but by the video professionals, not by BBQ enthusiasts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom