Here we go again...PST tanks marked E9791/SP9791

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are some high pressure cylinders manufactured by Faber that are DOT 3AA and have the 10% overfill.

M71SDVB - 3,300 pis (3,000 +10%)
M100SDVB - 3,498 ( 3,180 + 10%)

I owned some of the 100 cuft cylinders. Heavy. -6.7 pound empty.
Those are commonly referred to as mid pressure steels. Not desirable in any diving circle that I know of

Those are commonly referred to as mid pressure steels. Not desirable in any diving circle that I know of
I have never heard that reference before. Thank you. I did not keep those heavy steels for long, but they did sell pretty quickly when listed.

The Faber MP72s are excellent tanks for instructors in pool sessions and when doubled are popular doubles tanks for shorter divers ( I know of at least 8 female divers using them as their doubles).

Isn’t it limited to steel tanks manufactured by PST that require the special “stretching” hydro procedure that is different than the regular hydro procedure? If so, I can see a lot of hydro operators supporting this sunsetting of the exception because it is another low volume thing they have to do, and do competently, or risk their credentials.

Not just PST. All 3442 cylinders are special permit. Each manufacturer must file for their own permit. Worthington for examples has a special permit for their E cylinders. It’s a different number than PSTs but the same process. Even though Worthington doesn’t manufacture them anymore they did renew their special permit earlier this month and it’s good through September 30, 2026.

Ah interesting. The special permit renewal is evaluating the tanks behavior after long term use before renewal? Or is it an administrative/taxe procedure?

I dive a lot with 15 liters steel (which I think must be quite similar to the one you are speaking of). I think it is a good compromise when you don't want to go with your heavy twin, and it weighs a lot less than its equivalent alu

There are some high pressure cylinders manufactured by Faber that are DOT 3AA and have the 10% overfill.

M71SDVB - 3,300 pis (3,000 +10%)
M100SDVB - 3,498 ( 3,180 + 10%)

I owned some of the 100 cuft cylinders. Heavy. -6.7 pound empty.
I have a couple 3000 PSI (96's + some call them 94's), they are 3300PSI @ +10%, 3AA cylinders manufactured in the late 70's by pressed steel sold under Sherwood Brand. They look like steel 72's until you lift one and are rated at 95.25cf at 3300. These were made 10 years before the 3500PSI, SP9791 PST cylinders were released under the Sherwood Genesis brand, I have a few of them too. In addition i have a Scubapro branded Farber 72 that is 3AA and also 3000PSI . At 3300PSI (+10%) they are rated at 71.4cf. This is a nice pool and shore dive cylinder.

I really hope they make the SP9791 permanent as i prefer them to 3AA 3000PSI cylinders which are rather heavy. The short 3AA 3000PSI 72 is fine but the Genesis 80 is similar in weight and contains more air.

I'll take them any day of the week for shore diving on the NorCal coast in a wetsuit. The MP120 i dive is heavy, but one can offset that by removing lead, of which one has plenty. Also total weight walking across the beach is 5# lighter than a PST HP120 would be.

You get the sames sort advantage with the MP72. I liked to borrow one from a buddy to hike into some out of the way spots on the coast. It was definitely lighter overall hiking weight than the old steel 72s that I would normally take.

The Faber MP72s are excellent tanks for instructors in pool sessions and when doubled are popular doubles tanks for shorter divers ( I know of at least 8 female divers using them as their doubles).

Great little tanks for hiking, as well.

I called G3 the company that acquired PST and asked about the renewal. The customer service rep hadn’t heard about this yet and asked that I forward them the recently expired permit to her email. I was expecting loads of people to have called them but that wasn’t the case. She seemed interested in making her boss aware so maybe they will help..who knows.

I called G3 the company that acquired PST and asked about the renewal. The customer service rep hadn’t heard about this yet and asked that I forward them the recently expired permit to her email. I was expecting loads of people to have called them but that wasn’t the case. She seemed interested in making her boss aware so maybe they well help..who knows.
Thanks for doing that. Please keep us posted if they get back to you.

Back
Top Bottom