Here she comes....Vandenberg!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is why it cost so much any more to do anything. The Vandy has been offshore going up and down the coast all day and lastnight. And today up and back spending that MONEY.:confused: That ship was made in one week back in the day you can't do that in the us today you can't even sink it in a week.

I don't think that you can compare pricing with the NC dive area. IMO they are not even in the same realm of diving. FL diving is structured to make money with the boats running two to three trips a day. They give you a dive on the wreck then put you right onto a reef and back on the dock by noon to pick up another boat full of divers. Wreck diving in FL also is done on AL80 so that you can't spend much time if the wreck is down deep. Wreck diving shouldn't be done on a single AL80 anyway.
In NC you leave the dock at 7 or 8am and you get back at 4 or 5pm, usually two tank dive, on the wreck, with no time limit and long surface interval. BTW did I mention they have sharks!

I'll spend the money on NC wrecks and avoid the FL tourist trap.

Sorry for highjacking the post.

Sorry, been w/ two ops in NC across 4 trips, and both established time limits for dive time and SI and were just as regimented as you claim the touristas in FL are... (BTW: Diver Down 2 and Olympus, and I'm not really complaining about them.)

Your diving with the wrong operators... Talk to the locals who do the dives you wanna do... we'll line it up and make it happen... Especially if you wanna do stuff in the 100-200' range...

-Tim

That ship was made in one week back in the day you can't do that in the us today you can't even sink it in a week.

Yes there were some ships that where made in a week (or less) during WWII time period..... but don't think the Vandenberg was one of them.

according to Wikipedia (which isn't always correct (disclaimer)).

The ship was originally commissioned as the USAT General Harry Taylor (before being transfered a to the Navy and then to the Air Force as the Vandenberg).

But looks like it as almost 7 months from the time the hull was laid down until she was launched and even longer before comissioned.

The unnamed C4-S-A1-design transport was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MC Hull No. 702) on 22 February 1943 at Richmond, California, by Kaiser Co., Inc., Yard 3; named General Harry Taylor (AP-145) on 2 October 1943; launched on 10 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Mamie M. McHugh; acquired by the Navy on 29 March 1944; placed in ferry commission on 1 April 1944 for transfer to Portland, Oregon, for conversion to a transport by Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Washington; decommissioned on 10 April 1944; and commissioned on 8 May 1944 at Portland​

Why is it going back and forth is the dock that full?

The website says she is at Key West and will enter the harbor tomorrow morning. There is a big reception event scheduled. My guess is she is simply waiting for that. What's one more day? She could probably pull in quietly today with little fanfare. I think the publicity generated from pulling into harbor tomorrow morning to be welcomed by lots of dignitaries and the press is better.

Better news than last year at this time! I can't wait to come down in October!

Anyone have a confirmation on a 15 May sinking?

See my earlier post, the working date is 5/21. As far as the reason for circleing off shore. They had hoped for her to arive on Sunday, but the bad weather enrout held her up. The dock she is going to was not taken , but there was cruise ships in port that would make menuvering difficult. The revenue lost by keeping the ships away was greater than the additional cost of having the tug pull the Vandy around.

Safe dives
trtldvr
www.divealive.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom