Here is another light build and comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finally got my DX 5 cree dropin but my office is closed for the weekend!!

What did you do with the busted DX 5 cree dropin? Did you replace the driver?

Have it taken apart. All 5 LEDs work. I am going to resolder the driver and see if it works. Many of the problems are due to poor solder jobs. Looks like that module is powered with a boost driver as it take 15 volts to run the LEDs.

XM-L would be great, but I have a feeling Doc is right. Especially, on the lens. It is probably too thin to be used. DX now has the 52mm modules available so it would be much cheaper to use one of those and a Maglite host.

Yes, the Magicshine lens is very thin. I got a shipment of 20 heads and 5 lenses were broken from shipping. FEREI is much better quality.

Have it taken apart. All 5 LEDs work. I am going to resolder the driver and see if it works. Many of the problems are due to poor solder jobs. Looks like that module is powered with a boost driver as it take 15 volts to run the LEDs.

Nice. Let us know if you're able to fix it or maybe if you want to replace the R2 LEDs with XM-L. :)

PS - I have a sinking feeling that you're already in the midst of making a 5 XML torch...? :wink:

Nice. Let us know if you're able to fix it or maybe if you want to replace the R2 LEDs with XM-L. :)

PS - I have a sinking feeling that you're already in the midst of making a 5 XML torch...? :wink:

I was thinking about it...

I had to place another o ring order, the ones I ordered were a bit too big. Next order will be the right ones... I am sure of it... Well... may be.

Hey Doced, did you just solder the reed switch to the white wires that went to the factory switch?

Hi 350,

I removed the wires (white) marked "sw" and directly soldered the reed onto the PCB in a vertical position, this allowed a narrow area for which the magnet to take effect, thus minimizing extraneous magnetic interference . Hope this helps :D

Hi 350,

I removed the wires (white) marked "sw" and directly soldered the reed onto the PCB in a vertical position, this allowed a narrow area for which the magnet to take effect, thus minimizing extraneous magnetic interference . Hope this helps :D

OK Thanks....
Extraneous Magnetic Interference... NICE!

OK Thanks....
Extraneous Magnetic Interference... NICE!

EMI.

Otherwise known as my light going off and on at the weirdest moments :wink: Maybe the magnets I used before were too strong :D

PS: I just noticed... no, its really what I did, and isn't an April Fools joke :D

EMI.

Otherwise known as my light going off and on at the weirdest moments :wink: Maybe the magnets I used before were too strong :D

PS: I just noticed... no, its really what I did, and isn't an April Fools joke :D

Haha... Very educated-sounding!

On another note, I got my new o rings today and I think these are the ONES! I have the empty head in a bucket of water checking for leaks.

Doc did I read right that you put another o ring below the lens?

Thanks

Yup - an extra one sandwiched between the lens and the reflector. In the "sort-of-groove" between the housing and the reflector. I was actually surprised that it fit!

Back
Top Bottom