Here is a good one for breaking the rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These two should be runners up for the Darwin Awards!!

hnladue:

No way. You can't blame the kid for wanting to try the cool gear. A single Darwin award to the Aunt, who knew better.

theskull

I hope the kid recovers fully.

Regards,

Proud Mary won't ya keep on trollin'!... trollin'! trollin'! trollin' on the SB..

hnladue:

I think 11 years old doen't meet the minimum age requirement for a Darwin Award. But you can learn to dive at 11. Hmmmmm... Trust me dive. I thought everything an 11 year old does with an adult involves trust. Riding in the car, getting dinner on the table every night, etc...

Sounds like the adult didn't learn much about budy diving in her OW class.

Being that she sent a child on a solo dive she either wasn't trained very well herself or she just decided to ignore her training.

I mean what kind of class doesn't teach a diver that you need two sets of gear for two people and that new divers who are 11 shouldn't solo dive.

And if the vis is good enough to see the kid why shoulldn't she have been able to get him up from 20 ft when he had trouble. I'm no free diver but thats shallow enough to not even qualify as a free dive.

MikeFerrara:
Sounds like the adult didn't learn much about budy diving in her OW class.

Being that she sent a child on a solo dive she either wasn't trained very well herself or she just decided to ignore her training.

I mean what kind of class doesn't teach a diver that you need two sets of gear for two people and that new divers who are 11 shouldn't solo dive.

And if the vis is good enough to see the kid why shoulldn't she have been able to get him up from 20 ft when he had trouble. I'm no free diver but thats shallow enough to not even qualify as a free dive.

Very well put!

Not only was she irresponsible in her actions, she was unprepared for the incident that occurred. I would venture to guess that she was both physically and mentally not able to react to this incident, an incident that was completely preventable.

This was not an accident, it was criminal negligence, and she should answer for her actions. I have no place in my heart or mind for leniency towards her.

"Isn't 11 a bit young to be diving in this kind of method?"
I'd have to say that in this case, age isn't the issue...this isn't a teaching method anyone should have inflicted on them!

My thought is that 11 is too young to be diving, period.
I'd agree that not all children have the mental balance to be taught diving, just as not all adults should be in a scuba class. Learning to dive at age 12 was not a big deal for me.

Come to think, though, my parents were always great "buddys", had me plan the dives, made sure I was a good buddy for them. Good lessons, learned early. Pity this child didn't have the same opportunity. Hang the Aunt.

All the best, James

Kids never have a hard time diving. Tey're tough, eager, fit and usually not afraid.

However, I refuse to teach them because I don't trust the adults who will be supervising them.

I have a hunch this dingy lady had the same kind of shady class that I'm always complaining about because the lessons that should have been taught either weren't or didn't sink in. Good thing she had an instructor huh? Some of the cards that are sold should stipulate "Diving with a baby sitter only because we didn't teach the whole story but we did it in record time and it was cheap and convenient and it sold some spots in the resort, earned the dive center a few bucks and sold some equipment for the manufacturer"

That was a little sarcastic on purpose but though the 11 year old needed supervision...11 year olds need supervission no matter where they are. The whole industry worked to convince this lady that diving is fun, safe and for every one and she has a card that says that she knows something about it. She just can't free dive to 20 ft and pull a kid up by the scruff of his neck!

Of course she was directly responsible but I wonder if she wasn't misled as to her ability and the real dangers of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom