• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Here Comes Hurricane Dean....!

Discussion in 'Storm Watch' started by DandyDon, Aug 14, 2007.

1. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Current projections are far short of my Cozumel plans on this map thru the 19th, altho I'd be challenged to head for anywhere in the Antilles today. Let's hope he's as wimpy as the previous 3. I think I read that the Pacific El Nino as disrupting the power of the Atlantic storms, or something like that. Two years ago, we were so much further thru the alphabet with Wilma occurring in October.

[​IMG]

2. diversteve

diversteve always tired Rest in Peace ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
  3. DandyDon

Yeah, I know - I am too. May leave early, but 5 day forecasts are very iffy...!

Four storms around the globe...

4. lamont

lamont Photographer

looks like our choices are dean spinning up into a category 4 and taking out cozumel or spinning up into a category 5 into the gulf and heading for the gulf states:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its looking like a Wilma, Ivan, Rita, Katrina storm. Unless it enters the Gulf, finds some cooler water and some wind shear and calms down a lot before hitting land...

5. TwoBitTxn

TwoBitTxn Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The GFDL and UKMET tracks concern me the most. Texas has had record rainfall all year. When Rita hit, at least the lakes and the soil could sop up some of the water. Not this year. I have family in New Orleans and Houston.

This is going to be one to watch closely.

TwoBit

6. colo_diver

colo_diver Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    And my oh my is Dean flying

7. DandyDon

Yeah, I'm on Cozumel now, maybe should have left sooner...?

8. Spratman

Spratman Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I hope the current tracks are wrong. We're due to fly in next Sat. Given the water temps in the Gulf, I think it's likely to build into a monster even before Cancun and Coz land fall....:(

9. DandyDon

The hurricane is a bigger threat than ever, and everyone is evacuating as possible.

I booked a flight out on Monday last night - took an hour, then went out on a boat trip this morning, while the others stayed behind to depart or to make their escape arrangements. I think I got my reservation changed to a new flight just added by Cont out of Cancun tomorrow. It's a hassle, but it'll be me out a day early, home a day earlier. Got to leave the hotel around 3am for the 5am ferry, then get a bus to Cancun to check in early, blah blah blah - gonna be a loooong day.

OMG, a cab just delivered 4 tourists who just arrived?! I suggested they get back on the cab and run for it like the rest of us, but they didn't want to hear it. I had to offer that suggestion; bet they remember it when they're hunkered down in a sealed room listening to H.Dean howling.

10. snepdiver

snepdiver Solo Diver

We will be thinking of you Don. Be safe.