her first reg - advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xrcjdx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A little background - she is a manager at a Philippines dive resort - and making Philippines wages (as in, not much). So any outlay will be large. It makes more sense for me to pick up a set here in USA price and selection wise, and bring it there with me. Not much diving history, but will complete her rescue cert soon enough. She's interested in owning her own reg set, rather than using the resort gear, and I offered to help.

It has been a while since I bought a set, and not planning to anytime soon. So I'm a little behind the curve what's out there at an affordable price. After a little research, I'm leaning towards recommending the DGX custom DeepSix set with first stage, 2 seconds, braided hoses, and a medium sized brass and glass SPG. The hoses come in a tec configuration, but i'm happy enough to swap that out myself for a more rec friendly set up. Price comes in at $399. It's pretty much an all in set. From what I've read on SB, this is a pretty bullet proof package that should last her.

I'm open to and welcoming suggestions - is there something else i should at least consider at the same or lesser price point?

thanks -

r

Don't know much about the brands in the US and Philippines, but make sure it is a brand which can easely be serviced in the Philippines

I was going to suggest the Deep Six but hey, looks like you are already there. :)

One thing to consider is whether the reg set can be serviced locally where your friend dives. I believe @buddhasummer is on that side of the pacific rim and could give some light on the subject.

Bob

Consider that the Deep6 model is you currently return it to them in Georgia? for service - or self-service locally - I believe it comes with one parts kit but the 2nd may have to ship from the US when she needs it. Their model is also not to have local service done at every dealer - they're more stocking locations than service centers. I have one of few that are listed on the Deep6 website nearby and that's all they do currently.

I'm sure DGX also provides service - if you mail it to them in Florida....

I might look for something in a brand she can get serviced locally instead. The price will probably be more but many of the major brands are sold/serviced worldwide. You might compare prices at her local dealer vs. bringing it from here also. I think you need to act like it's yours to save import duties if you do bring it in. .

Lesurepro.com or Scubatoys.com also ship worldwide if there's something there she likes. Assuming her local dealer can later provide service for the brand. I could be wrong but I think Aqualung at least could be fussy about warranty service on a reg bought here and used there also.
If interested in Aqualung on LP - attracted by the significantly lower price - that's because afaik they're still not a recognized dealer so all service is thru them in NYC also. It's actually noted on the Aqualung US website

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Aqualung. Leisure pro has the Calypso set for 299.00
Aqua Lung Calypso Regulator
a workhorse set up used by many ops for rental gear.

They also have a Sherwood close out for $159.00 Sherwood Brut
Both great company's that stand behind there equipment. 1st and foremost though, is service available for your gear in your area.

Find out what regs the resort uses... then is she a reg tech or wants to be one? If she isn't interested in servicing her own gear, or have a friend who is a tech willing to service for her, I don't really recommend Deep 6. I simply don't have the service network there. If she is interested in learning to service, can work with that for sure however.

Plus, working at a resort most brands would be willing to do a key person discount.

Find out what regs the resort uses... then is she a reg tech or wants to be one? If she isn't interested in servicing her own gear, or have a friend who is a tech willing to service for her, I don't really recommend Deep 6. I simply don't have the service network there. If she is interested in learning to service, can work with that for sure however.

Plus, working at a resort most brands would be willing to do a key person discount.

thank you everyone for your replies, all things to think about and look at. and thank you cerich in particular. the resort does service it's own gear - i'll find out what brands they rent early tonight (13 hour time difference). my thoughts were 1. the tech at the resort would be able to figure out how to safely service the regulator in short order, and 2. if the recommended service interval is the same as the signature sold on your site (the first of 2 years or 200 dives) it will surely be 2 years. if you don't mind rather than reply to you on the open thread i'll pm you or feel free to do the same to me.

ralph

if eligible for key person pricing, aqualung mikron would be worth a look. can also go the diy route if you can find an older scubapro or us divers reg in good shape and grab some parts from vdh to rebuild. that would be the absolute cheapest option probably.

Just happened to be on the Leisurepro site tonight and they now seem to be an Aqualung dealer as they're selling the entire line of regs, computers etc.

There's about 4-5 variants of their Core or Mikron models for under $500 (1st/2nd only) and one Titan model for $365. It's considered by many to be a bulletproof older design. The Core line is re-badged Titan anyway from what I've read - they take the same parts kits.

Back
Top Bottom