Does anybody have a DGX XTRA piston reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m just wondering if anyone here has a Dive Gear Express XTRA balanced piston reg set.
Please tell me about it.
I’m looking for a buddy if mine. He delegated me to find him a Scubapro reg either MK2 or MK 10 or MK20-25 since that’s what I recommended to him.
He was using an Aeris setup but that company is defunct and the only back up he has is a Genesis which is basically a rebranded Sherwood that is a flow by unbalanced piston design and some sort if dry bleed device.
Anyway, I’ve been using Scubapro for years and they are simple and bullet proof. I just like everything about the simple piston design. Parts are a little of a challenge to get for SP though.
That’s why when I saw this DGX reg I thought it might be a great option. Buying used there is always a chance the reg is F’d up inside depending on it’s history. But if these are good ir good enough then I’m all ears.
Is the DGX reg pretty much a copy of a MK25?
Where is it made?
What’s the machining and precision look like?
I see parts are readily available to the public so this is a huge bonus, and the overall price looks good too.
Lastly, is this something that you feel will be around for many years, or is it a fad brand that might be gone tomorrow?
The last thing I want to recommend to him is another Aeris scenario.

Eric, why not just let him get a Scubapro like you? Deep down you know he wants the best :wink:.

He wants a G260 on a Mark 17 Evo or Mark 25. You know he does. Or a nice G250 on a Mark 5/10/20/25.

I have only seen one of the DGX regulator sets in the wild. It looked completely fine to me upon cursory examination. Will it be around 20 years from now to get service and parts, I am not sure but I bet Scubapro will be. That is the kind of thing that is built into the premium price when you get the real thing vs a copy of the real thing.

There is also that one with the blue H on it that is really just a G250.

When it comes to long term parts support I do not think anybody compares with Scubapro, maybe AL (decreasingly so).

James

Eric, why not just let him get a Scubapro like you? Deep down you know he wants the best :wink:.

He wants a G260 on a Mark 17 Evo or Mark 25. You know he does. Or a nice G250 on a Mark 5/10/20/25.

I have only seen one of the DGX regulator sets in the wild. It looked completely fine to me upon cursory examination. Will it be around 20 years from now to get service and parts, I am not sure but I bet Scubapro will be. That is the kind of thing that is built into the premium price when you get the real thing vs a copy of the real thing.

There is also that one with the blue H on it that is really just a G250.

When it comes to long term parts support I do not think anybody compares with Scubapro, maybe AL (decreasingly so).

James
I think you’re probably right.
He wants two HP ports so that’s why a MK 5-10-20-25 instead.
If I can somehow convince him that a simple MK2 is an option, that he doesn’t need AI, he could use something like a G250 and a regular poppet octo and do any dive he ever needs to do with that reg. I don’t know why so many people hold their noses when they walk by a MK2 unbalanced piston?
The other option is to let go of my Connie 21 and give him that but it only has one HP port too.

From looking at Rob’s video I would say the piston DGX is closer to a MK 5 or 10 than the 25, the HP o-ring is in a machined groove, no external IP adjustment. The second stage looks like an Apeks family design in general like HOG / Deep 6 etc. they look pretty good in design and you can buy the service hits from them which is a good thing.

Some folks like belts and suspenders. I too now use the @rsingler rigging with a button gauge on the hose with my transmitter. Slick!

Some folks like belts and suspenders. I too now use the @rsingler rigging with a button gauge on the hose with my transmitter. Slick!

How you mean? The button gauge and the transmitter fit on the end of the HP hose on a tee? If so you still only need one port?

I do not recall seeing that on his gear, I usually have an eye for extra stuff. But maybe I am not so observant as I used to be (or never was).

James

Yeah, I use this from time to time.
Screenshot_20220724-204252_Chrome.jpg

Gets my transmitter closer to my wrist Perdix AI than a 6" hose. Wraps around on my chest, but stays out of the way.
The extra button gauge in case the transmitter fails is pretty unobtrusive. Yah, yah, extra failure point. I'll stop using it when it leaks.
Screenshot_20220724-204810_Chrome.jpg

As for the hose, I'm still more afraid of boat crew using my transmitter as a handle.

Ah, okay, that is what I was thinking you did perhaps. Suppose there is more than one way to skin a cat(fish). Well, actually the best way to skin a cat is to have somebody else do it. Guess that is one way to get two holes out of one :wink:.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom