Does anybody have a DGX XTRA piston reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two AL ACD regulators, first series Legend and a Core Supreme. The ACD is virtually bomb proof and it WORKS!!!!!!! If the assmebly is not properly installed and torqued it could potentially back off, especially as in the case of using the first stage to lift and twist about a tank and assembled BC full of lead.

It really is not a concern to me and I like the fact that it keeps the internals of the first stage pristine from anything other than contamiants inside the diving cylinder. It is especially useful for my wife who like to drag her Legend through saltwater and sand and then dump it in the rinse tank without the cap in place. I took her regulator apart last summer after a particularly egregious assault upon it fully expecting all manner of corrosion and verdigris, nope :)! It was pristine, like new. I put it back together and onward it goes.

And speaking of the Core Supreme, it is a wonderful air balanced regulator, tiny first stage, ACD and environmentally sealed, modern sleek second stage, no adjustment knob, just the Dive/Pre-dive adjustment. It is rated Superior on the ANSTI machine and frankly breaths as easy as my best G250 and my new Mark17/G260 set. I believe the Legend and the Apeks XTX200 got the highest marks some years back on the ANSTI machine and the Core (Titan LX) is right in there with them. What it and the Legend lacks is the industrial and robust build of Scubapro products in general. Kind of like airplanes vs tanks. An airplane only needs to be strong where it needs it and elsewhere it just adds weight. A battle tank, well, heck, can we make it heavier, thicker, stronger everywhere! Well, in this stupid analogy of mine, AL is the airplane and Scubapro is the tank :wink:.

All of that to get around to saying, ACD would not put me off the DGX regulator, it is an advantage IMO.

James
Well, if you endorse them then I’ll take your word for it. I guess in this day and age and given our litigious society, thinking that somebody would design a shut of valve that wouldn’t be 99.999999% safe is a little silly. I’m sure it fine, and if not maybe it can be removed?
It might just be the thing for him anyway because he can be somewhat of a klutz when it comes to keeping his reg dry when he changes bottles.
I’m probably a little anal, (actually a lot anal retentive). I tend to overthink things and worry too much.

I'm writing this from the skilled nursing facility I was transferred to last Monday. I broke my hip riding my bicycle on the 13th.
The dgx piston is a simple balanced piston with no external adjustment. The ip is adjusted with shims. The autoclosure mechanism is a relatively simple design and it works. I don't see it being subject to same type of failure as the acd or the version of an autoclosure that oceanic had.
I've been using the two that they sent me to disassemble, take photos, and reassemble when I was writing the manual. I've only used them in freshwater and they were fine.
Being an unsealed balanced piston you want to make sure you rinse them well if used in saltwater.

Hope you recover and get back riding soon. It was now 12 yo I had a bad (dog caused) bicycle crash and busted my left femur and then recently an auto crash (somebody texting and ran a stop sign and it was not me) that tore my right bicep tendon from the bone requiring surgery to correct. Yeah, fun stuff, so I sympathize and empathize with you. But you are a disciplined and determined person, you will get back sooner than you think.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom